Sync to Dropbox freezes at the same file every time

dj
djewesbury
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:47 pm Post

Unalloyed success! Working and synced across three devices.
And now I've discovered I was trying to do manually what Dropbox was already doing automatically. I suppose, since I was asking the project to sync to itself, I'm lucky that it didn't spontaneously combust.
Thanks.

kewms

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:35 am Post

Hooray!

To avoid problems in the future, best practices for using Scrivener with cloud services can be found here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... c-services

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

pi
pieemme

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:10 am Post

kewms wrote:Progress!

The "Dropbox folder" looks, to Scrivener, just like any other folder on your computer. It just has the special property that the Dropbox software uploads the contents of that folder to the Dropbox server. From there, other copies of Dropbox on other devices download to those devices. The Dropbox software keeps track of uploads and downloads to make sure that all devices have the same versions of everything.

Since the entire project was in the Dropbox folder, it's likely that the External Folder wasn't actually *doing* anything. All the other devices were working from the Dropbox copy of the original project, which is exactly what's supposed to happen.

To test this hypothesis, do this:

* Disable the Sync with External Folder function. Close Scrivener.

* Using Finder, drag the project (the .scriv file) back into the Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener folder. Leave the External Folder behind. Allow Dropbox to synchronize.

* One by one, synchronize the other devices and confirm that they all work correctly.

Success?

Katherine

I have exactly the same problem. Sync was hanging on file 109 and there was no way to go ahead other than force quitting Scrivener (on Big Sur). I moved the file from Dropbox to my desktop, but it kept doing the same. I unlinked Dropbox from IOS Scrivener, but the sync on my Mac still keeps hanging on the same file. I've opened the project directly from Dropbox, not from the local synced copy. All is fine, except when I close the project and Scrivener tries to sync. It quickly gets to file 109 and goes no further. I also tried with some editing and saving, to no avail. No problem with the IOS version except at some stage it was telling me the file format was unsupported. However after another Dropbox sync, the project opens all right (IOS).

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:37 am Post

pieemme wrote:Sync was hanging on file 109 and there was no way to go ahead other than force quitting Scrivener (on Big Sur).

How can hou see where the Dropbox sync is having problems? How are you monitoring the Dropbox app on your Mac?
Or are you referring to Sync with external folder?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

kewms

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:27 pm Post

pieemme wrote:
I have exactly the same problem. Sync was hanging on file 109 and there was no way to go ahead other than force quitting Scrivener (on Big Sur). I moved the file from Dropbox to my desktop, but it kept doing the same. I unlinked Dropbox from IOS Scrivener, but the sync on my Mac still keeps hanging on the same file. I've opened the project directly from Dropbox, not from the local synced copy. All is fine, except when I close the project and Scrivener tries to sync. It quickly gets to file 109 and goes no further. I also tried with some editing and saving, to no avail. No problem with the IOS version except at some stage it was telling me the file format was unsupported. However after another Dropbox sync, the project opens all right (IOS).

Something else is going on. On the Mac, Scrivener just saves the file to the local hard drive. There's no "progress report" unless you're watching the Dropbox software directly.

Moreover, moving the project out of the Dropbox folder takes Dropbox (on the Mac) out of the loop entirely.

Do you have External Folder sync enabled?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

pi
pieemme

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:21 pm Post

kewms wrote:
pieemme wrote:

Something else is going on. On the Mac, Scrivener just saves the file to the local hard drive. There's no "progress report" unless you're watching the Dropbox software directly.
Moreover, moving the project out of the Dropbox folder takes Dropbox (on the Mac) out of the loop entirely.

Do you have External Folder sync enabled?

Katherine

Thanks Katherine, I clicked on the Dropbox app on my Mac and navigated to the .scriv file and launched Scrivener from there. I also noticed an enormous number of files being synced on IOS. I suspect that many have been multiplied. I used to have some in the hundreds, while they are now almost 3000. Reason enough for getting stuck. I wish I could get rid of them. I suspect that for every time I force quit Scrivener because of being stuck on file 109, all the other files end up duplicated. And, to answer your question, I do have Sync with External Folder enabled. Btw: I just checked in Dropbox and the file 109 happens to be missing. I made a copy of 108 and renamed 109, but nothing changes.

gr

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:55 pm Post

Here are two pieces of advice which might sort something out for you:

1) If you are using the Sync to External Folder function like the original poster did, stop. That is not what that function is for.
To get Dropbox to sync a Scriv project to the cloud, all you need to do is put the Scrivener project itself in the folder that Dropbox is watching.
To use that project on your Mac, you just open it from that folder.

2) Don’t use the Dropbox app to launch your project. Just launch it from the Finder. Or, if this is a project you use all the time, Favorite it in Scrivener (once you have it in position and have opened in explicitly from Finder) and then from then on launch it from Scrivener’s favorites menu (better than Recents menu, which can lead you astray).
Actually, don’t use the Dropbox desktop app for anything. Having the dropbox extension installed does all the work. There is nothing (Scrivener-related) that you need to be using the Dropbox app or web-interface to accomplish.

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

pi
pieemme

Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:56 am Post

gr wrote:Here are two pieces of advice which might sort something out for you:

1) If you are using the Sync to External Folder function like the original poster did, stop. That is not what that function is for.
To get Dropbox to sync a Scriv project to the cloud, all you need to do is put the Scrivener project itself in the folder that Dropbox is watching.
To use that project on your Mac, you just open it from that folder.

2) Don’t use the Dropbox app to launch your project. Just launch it from the Finder. Or, if this is a project you use all the time, Favorite it in Scrivener (once you have it in position and have opened in explicitly from Finder) and then from then on launch it from Scrivener’s favorites menu (better than Recents menu, which can lead you astray).
Actually, don’t use the Dropbox desktop app for anything. Having the dropbox extension installed does all the work. There is nothing (Scrivener-related) that you need to be using the Dropbox app or web-interface to accomplish.

gr

Thanks, this is basically what I have been doing all the time. It has never been entirely clear to me, what the Sync with mobile device really meant. I have been syncing between my iPad Scriv and my Mac all the time. This issue came up justrecently, when I used Scriv on my iPad forgetting I had left Scrivener open on my Mac. Now my problem is that when I exit from my Mac, it automatically goes syncing and hangs there. However I noticed that when I save the project with a different name, the problem disappears altogether. It looks like the problem is solved and I have been able to clean up the redundant files.

gr

Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:48 pm Post

Good to hear you worked something out!

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

kewms

Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:44 am Post

pieemme wrote:Thanks, this is basically what I have been doing all the time. It has never been entirely clear to me, what the Sync with mobile device really meant. I have been syncing between my iPad Scriv and my Mac all the time. This issue came up justrecently, when I used Scriv on my iPad forgetting I had left Scrivener open on my Mac. Now my problem is that when I exit from my Mac, it automatically goes syncing and hangs there. However I noticed that when I save the project with a different name, the problem disappears altogether. It looks like the problem is solved and I have been able to clean up the redundant files.

The Sync with Mobile Devices command essentially reloads the project from disk, incorporating any changes that have been made by Dropbox "behind Scrivener's back," as it were. It's a good tool, but rather than relying on it I would recommend using the Auto-Quit option (Scrivener -> Preferences -> General -> Automatic Quit) to reduce the risk that you'll leave the project open on the Mac.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

pi
pieemme

Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:18 am Post

kewms wrote:
pieemme wrote:Thanks, this is basically what I have been doing all the time. It has never been entirely clear to me, what the Sync with mobile device really meant. I have been syncing between my iPad Scriv and my Mac all the time. This issue came up justrecently, when I used Scriv on my iPad forgetting I had left Scrivener open on my Mac. Now my problem is that when I exit from my Mac, it automatically goes syncing and hangs there. However I noticed that when I save the project with a different name, the problem disappears altogether. It looks like the problem is solved and I have been able to clean up the redundant files.

The Sync with Mobile Devices command essentially reloads the project from disk, incorporating any changes that have been made by Dropbox "behind Scrivener's back," as it were. It's a good tool, but rather than relying on it I would recommend using the Auto-Quit option (Scrivener -> Preferences -> General -> Automatic Quit) to reduce the risk that you'll leave the project open on the Mac.

Katherine

Oh yes, Katherine, that's a nice feature I hadn't discovered. Thanks so much, it's exactly what I need :-)