Transparency to blurred desktop in Scrivener?

jt
jtilton
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:41 pm Post

I was playing around with themes today after upgrading to Big Sur, and I was wondering if there is any way to give different areas of Scrivener this transparency look that I've seen other Mac apps use. I've attached a screenshot of the dictionary app. I'd love if I could choose a few sections of my Scrivener project to see through to the desktop in that blurred style. Is there a way to do this?

transparencybar2.jpg
transparencybar2.jpg (558.86 KiB) Viewed 173 times

KB
Site Admin

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:55 pm Post

There is not, I'm afraid. Transparency is only available in the sidebars of apps if those apps stick to some very specific rules - for instance, you cannot allow the user to choose the sidebar colour, as you can in Scrivener's preferences, because once you do that, there's no way of getting the transparency back. So Apple's rules for transparency are incompatible with the way Scrivener needs to work.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

jt
jtilton

Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:00 pm Post

KB wrote:There is not, I'm afraid. Transparency is only available in the sidebars of apps if those apps stick to some very specific rules - for instance, you cannot allow the user to choose the sidebar colour, as you can in Scrivener's preferences, because once you do that, there's no way of getting the transparency back. So Apple's rules for transparency are incompatible with the way Scrivener needs to work.

All the best,
Keith

Ah, I see. That's okay. I just had the thought pop into my mind. Thank you so much for this amazing app. It's such a life-changer, as I'm sure many have told you. I'm loving the way the new icon fits into Apple's new style. :D