Crashing after paste and floating annotations

harriekd
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:42 pm Post

Hi All
I'm having a couple of issues with my Scrivener...

In the last few days my Scrivener on Mac Big Sur has crashed quite a few times - it's always the same thing that triggers it but it doesn't happen every time I do this thing - which is weird and confusing.
The trigger is if I paste text (into the main window/doc) from another app, and then type around/into it - that is, if I edit it or add something to it. The apps I've been pasting from are zoom chat, google docs, word, and adobe acrobat. I don't know if that's relevant. I paste from other apps quite often so this is something I need to be able to do, and it's crashed probably about 80% of the time I try to do it.
It seems my Mac auto-updated Scrivener overnight so hopefully this might be fixed, but any tips or advice appreciated

The other issue is if I click an annotation in an imported PDF, the annotation stays floating on screen even after I click out of it, both in the PDF it began in and in all other annotated PDFs. It goes away if I click into a typing doc (ie a normal blank Scrivener doc) but if I click into *any* imported PDF it comes back.
Again this may have been sorted out by the update but I don't know yet...
Any ideas?
Dissertating!

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:51 pm Post

On the first issue, are you using page view in the editor? If so, there is a nasty crash that Apple introduced into page view with Big Sur - Scrivener 3.2.2, which was released earlier in the week, should (I hope!) work around this, so fingers crossed that it will indeed solve your problem.

The PDF issue is I believe another Apple bug that they introduced into the PDFKit (which Scrivener uses for displaying PDF files). I haven't been able to find a workaround to that because the the PDFKit is essentially a black box, meaning that it's not possible for anyone outside of Apple to dive inside and work around Apple bugs. I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer on this one.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."