Apple M1 Processor

Ru
RuffPub
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:51 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:36 pm Post

ron777 wrote:
If anyone is interested, there are several sites that have posted a growing list of software that is either incompatible with the new processor, or requires Rosetta2. It appears that MSFT Office might be on the list of software requiring Rosetta.


Worth pointing out that some reviewers have found software using Rosetta 2 is running almost/as fast as it natively runs on Intel devices due to efficiency of M1/Rosetta 2, so if software runs under Rosetta 2, little justification in holding out for the native version. That will just be a bonus when it arrives.

If time isn’t of essence in replacing hardware there might be validity in waiting for rumoured new form factor Air/Pro and equally rumoured M2 late in 2021.

ro
ron777
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:44 pm
Platform: Mac

Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:46 pm Post

tbrown313 wrote:I posted my comments about my M1 Mac mini in another thread. I did a quick benchmark if anyone is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64082


I'd appreciated your post, in re your experience with the new MacBookPro, and had largely based my purchase decision upon your experience.
My only complaint with the older MacBooks—I have a 2014 MacBookPro— has been related to the keyboards. I've never bonded with Apple's keyboards, whether they be part of a laptop or shipped with a desktop tower. In fact, I own two, 2019 MacPro Towers whose keyboards I've replaced with Corsair K95 mechanical keyboards. While I realize that the M1 MacBook's keyboard will not approach the feel of a mechanical, I am hopeful that it will represent an improvement over the older iterations of same.
Thanks again for your input.

Ru
RuffPub
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:51 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:28 pm Post

ron777 wrote:My only complaint with the older MacBooks—I have a 2014 MacBookPro— has been related to the keyboards. I've never bonded with Apple's keyboards, whether they be part of a laptop or shipped with a desktop tower. In fact, I own two, 2019 MacPro Towers whose keyboards I've replaced with Corsair K95 mechanical keyboards. While I realize that the M1 MacBook's keyboard will not approach the feel of a mechanical, I am hopeful that it will represent an improvement over the older iterations of same.
Thanks again for your input.


I’m with you on all Apple keyboards since their last mechanical. Except when travelling I now have MB on tilt stand and use a Keychron K4 96% wireless extended with brown switches. I may take it on next trip as the slightly smaller size should fit in the bag.

ro
ron777
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:44 pm
Platform: Mac

Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:24 pm Post

RuffPub wrote:
ron777 wrote:My only complaint with the older MacBooks—I have a 2014 MacBookPro— has been related to the keyboards. I've never bonded with Apple's keyboards, whether they be part of a laptop or shipped with a desktop tower. In fact, I own two, 2019 MacPro Towers whose keyboards I've replaced with Corsair K95 mechanical keyboards. While I realize that the M1 MacBook's keyboard will not approach the feel of a mechanical, I am hopeful that it will represent an improvement over the older iterations of same.
Thanks again for your input.


I’m with you on all Apple keyboards since their last mechanical. Except when travelling I now have MB on tilt stand and use a Keychron K4 96% wireless extended with brown switches. I may take it on next trip as the slightly smaller size should fit in the bag.


The Keychron looks interesting, but my personal experience with wireless, Bluetooth peripherals—keyboards, mice and so on—has been less than stellar, and I have migrated to devices with USB connectors. But the Brown switches, which is what I have installed on the Corsair K95's, are great for rapid, touch-typing ... and IMO, a quantum leap beyond any Apple keyboard.

An
AnotherGuy
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:32 am
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:11 am Post

Does somebody know if Dropbox Beta Build 110.3.425 is running as a native silicon app on Apple M1? I have read complaints that it takes the advantage of all 8 cores and causes a huge battery drain?
“Just another guy that you see around
No more than a face somewhere in a crowd “

Ru
RuffPub
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:51 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:51 pm Post

ron777 wrote:
The Keychron looks interesting, but my personal experience with wireless, Bluetooth peripherals—keyboards, mice and so on—has been less than stellar, and I have migrated to devices with USB connectors. But the Brown switches, which is what I have installed on the Corsair K95's, are great for rapid, touch-typing ... and IMO, a quantum leap beyond any Apple keyboard.


Just an FYI on the Keychron, they have two switches, one to jump between Mac/Win (they come with both sets of keycaps) and the other to jump between usb and bluetooth. I’ve had no issues with bt and this keyboard, unlike one or two others. It does sleep after a few minutes of inactivity to save battery but a press and hold on the first letter you want to type reconnects.

bo
bodsham
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:01 pm Post

I bought the M1 MB Air, the cheapest model, as an experiment thinking I'd probably return it. Instead it's meant my 19 16 inch MB Pro has hardly been used. The Air is fast, the keyboard good. Scrivener runs really quickly. I've had no problems with any other software, whether written for the M1 or not.
The battery life is fantastic and this has become my go to portable machine over an iPad Pro. It is far better for working and frankly I've never really got on with Scrivener on the iPad. When I write I want to use a proper keyboard and a full blown app. This is now my move around the house machine. Perfect for it and a bargain frankly in the UK at £999.

bo
bodsham
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:58 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:02 pm Post

AnotherGuy wrote:Does somebody know if Dropbox Beta Build 110.3.425 is running as a native silicon app on Apple M1? I have read complaints that it takes the advantage of all 8 cores and causes a huge battery drain?

I haven't noticed that and Dropbox doesn't show up as an app with significant battery drain on my Air,

tb
tbrown313
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 2:00 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Portland, OR

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:42 pm Post

ron777 wrote:
tbrown313 wrote:I posted my comments about my M1 Mac mini in another thread. I did a quick benchmark if anyone is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64082


I'd appreciated your post, in re your experience with the new MacBookPro, and had largely based my purchase decision upon your experience.
My only complaint with the older MacBooks—I have a 2014 MacBookPro— has been related to the keyboards. I've never bonded with Apple's keyboards, whether they be part of a laptop or shipped with a desktop tower. In fact, I own two, 2019 MacPro Towers whose keyboards I've replaced with Corsair K95 mechanical keyboards. While I realize that the M1 MacBook's keyboard will not approach the feel of a mechanical, I am hopeful that it will represent an improvement over the older iterations of same.
Thanks again for your input.


You're welcome. I also use a mechanical keyboard, USB connected. I spend many hours typing and the feel of a mechanical keyboard is unmatched.
Terry Brown

User avatar
Orpheus
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:27 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Lost in the material world.

Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:10 pm Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuF9weSkS68

I saw this video about the M1 chipset the day after I received my new 2020 MBP 16" and promptly returned it for a refund. The Apple support person told me I was not the first to do so. (-:

They also said that that the M1 chipset was currently only available for the 13" MBP. But I can wait till it is available for the 16" MBP.
"Never was there a time when I [Krsna] did not exist, nor you, nor all these
kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.” Bhagavad-gita
2.12

hu
huntaaar
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:59 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:30 am Post

For what it's worth, I updated to M1 and scrivener has unfortunately been a nightmare since, constantly crashing. Even when running the 3.2.1 beta.

ro
ron777
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:44 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:07 pm Post

huntaaar wrote:For what it's worth, I updated to M1 and scrivener has unfortunately been a nightmare since, constantly crashing. Even when running the 3.2.1 beta.


I find it confusing, and troublesome, that some are having issues with the M1/Scrivener combination and others are not. Could there be some non-OS/chip related software incompatibilities? Meaning, what differentiates the problematic machines from those which are allegedly trouble free?

I have a Mac-book Pro 13" M1 on order whose intended use is almost exclusively for Scrivener, and if there are frequent compatibility issues I would cancel the order.

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 7164
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:49 pm Post

The crash appears to be usage-related, not hardware-related. Specifically, there appears to be a bug in the Apple code used to redraw the screen in Page View.

So the short-term answer is to avoid using Page View.

For the longer term, having identified the bug we are on track to work around it. (We can't fix it, because it's not our code.)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

ro
ron777
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:44 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:04 pm Post

kewms wrote:The crash appears to be usage-related, not hardware-related. Specifically, there appears to be a bug in the Apple code used to redraw the screen in Page View.

So the short-term answer is to avoid using Page View.

For the longer term, having identified the bug we are on track to work around it. (We can't fix it, because it's not our code.)

Katherine


Page view? I have been a longtime Scrivener user but I have not come across PAGE VIEW. Is it called something else in Scrivener 3.0? Otherwise, please explain.

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 7164
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:09 pm Post

ron777 wrote:Page view? I have been a longtime Scrivener user but I have not come across PAGE VIEW. Is it called something else in Scrivener 3.0? Otherwise, please explain.


View -> Text Editing -> Show/Hide Page View.

No, it isn't new.

Note that it is not a true WYSIWYG view, just Scrivener's best estimate of what the page will look like.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team