SAVE PDF TO SCRIVENER - not working with Big Sur OS

cj
cjgennaula
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:05 pm Post

AmberV wrote:I believe if you review the thread you are responding to, you will find it is on our list, and you will also encounter some workarounds that may work for you.

Thank you for your response. I am aware of the workaround of saving off the PDF and then importing it into Scrivener (and had done that before I even responded to this thread). This was the only workaround that I saw that worked. I did not see a fix for the actual problem. If I am mistaken, please point me to the solution that enables this feature to work again.

The second part of my question was "Are there plans for this to be addressed in the near future?" Is a fix planned for the next release or is this problem on a backlog of cases?

Sincerely,
Chris

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:30 pm Post

There is no fix for the underlying problem that you can make, Scrivener is not receiving PDF files via the mechanism of "opening" the PDF in Scrivener, which is how it worked before.

It is on the list to be fixed, I can't really speculate much more beyond that into whether it can be or when.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

drmajorbob

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:50 pm Post

flean wrote:Hello,
Every time I use "Preview" to open a PDF and want to save it to Scrivener by using the option SAVE PDF TO SCRIVENER in Preview, the document doesn't show in Scrivener. My MacOS is the new Big Sur.
Is it just me or there's a glitch with BigSur?
Thanks

What does that mean, saving a PDF to Scrivener? Where is it supposed to go if you do that?
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

Silverdragon

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:15 pm Post

It's from the PDF drop down in the standard print dialog. It saves the PDF to the Research folder in the currently topmost open Scrivener project. If Scrivener isn't open, then Scrivener is opened and the PDF is saved in the topmost open project as above. If no project is open you get an error message.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her silicon hoard
  • Mac Scrivener 3.2.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • iOS Scrivener 1.2.1, iPad 6, iPhone 12 pro, i(Pad)OS 14.5

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:05 pm Post

It used to be you could also drop a PDF right onto the Scrivener icon in the Dock, which makes sense given how this "Save PDF to Scrivener" mechanism works. All it is doing internally is saving a temporary PDF file and then loading it in the software that has an alias in this special folder. It's not a special feature, but a convenience built into the system to avoid making a temporary PDF yourself.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles