auto numbering documents while merging

tsolignani
Platform: Mac

Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:49 pm Post

Good evening everyone,

Usually I write my short stories a document a day, collected into a folder.

Then when I am finished I merge all documents, say 20 ones or more, into a single document, Delete the folder and keep only the single document.

While merging, is there a way to put automagically an header with a progressive number say 1 for the first document 2 for the second one into the final single document, to keep every piece of text on a section of its own?

Thank you.

kewms

Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:06 pm Post

You can do that with the Compile command, but not in Scrivener's main editor.

The "Scrivener-like" answer to your question would be "why are you merging them if you still want them separated?" Being able to handle them as a single chunk of text is what the Scrivenings view is for.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

tsolignani

Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:34 pm Post

Thank you for your reply.

I understand Scrivener's logic.

I do that way for it's my workflow for every story of a short stories collection or chapter of a novel: write separated small chunks then merge them together. I still would like to have a single document, with a number delimiting each part, that way I can spot between finished story / chapters and the ones I am currently working on.

But I understand I'll better reconsider that.

Thanks again.

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:51 pm Post

Prior to merging them, "tag" the beginning of each document with an Inline Annotation.

Beyond the numbering desire, the Inline Annotation could be made additionally useful. One thing a meaningful tag is useful for––it's searchable (in a selective way) using Scrivener's Find by Formatting feature.
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

tsolignani

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:54 pm Post

Thank you for the heads up. I'll have a look on it. Thanks.