Can I just drag and drop chapters written in Pages into Scrivener?

Ca
Casuarina
Platform: Mac

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:14 am Post

Hi writers and tech experts,
I have written a very lengthy non fiction work of history, unfortunately using Pages as the simplest word processing platform available at the time. Now however I am at the stage where I want to be able to have it published in hardcopy as well as an e book, and Pages is not going to let me do this.
My question is, can I simply drag and drop the chapters from Pages into Scrivener?
Please say yes!

kewms

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:36 am Post

A better idea would be to export from Pages to Word format, and then import those files into Scrivener.

Apple has not published the Pages format, so Word is the best available exchange format between Pages and other programs.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ca
Casuarina

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:20 am Post

Oh dear! Thanks for your reply, Kathryn, but that sadly involves doubles handling of documents and I'm sure details will be lost in the process. Looks like I should have written in Word in the first place.

rm
rms
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:27 pm Post

While I of course can’t guarantee it, I think you might be too pessimistic about the conversion (unless you are doing very complex formatting that only Pages knows about, andmy hunch is that is unlikely). Export to DOCX (or RTF or even TXT if you discover your needs not met).

kewms

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:54 pm Post

Apple's Pages -> Word conversion is quite good, which is why we specifically recommend that format over, say, RTF.

The best decision would probably have been to write in*Scrivener* in the first place, of course, :wink:

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ca
Casuarina

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:11 am Post

Sorry to be so dumb, but it seems the answer to my original question is NO?

and that I should copy everything into Word and then will be able to drag and drop into Scrivener?

If I do this will the photos I've included be automatically transferred in the correct position as well, or will I have to transfer each one individually?
And yes, I should have used Scrivener from the beginning, but I don't think it had been invented when I started this project.

Thanks, everyone.

kewms

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:26 am Post

You should *export* (not copy) from Pages to Word format. Then you can drag and drop into Scrivener.

Photos will be included, but Scrivener's page layout capabilities are less sophisticated than either Pages or Word. So, for example, Scrivener is not able to flow text around images.

What exactly are you attempting to do? If you have a nearly complete manuscript in Pages, what do you hope Scrivener will do for you?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ca
Casuarina

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:50 am Post

Katherine, what I'm hoping it will do is: provide a template for a page layout with consistent headings, and page settings that will enable the document to be printed out in book form , with page numbers from chapter 1 to the end.
I don't want an ebook.

I don't know whether it will organise footnotes or endnotes. I don't want the words to flow around the text.
I don't know whether the software exists that will automatically generate an index, I think that it too much to hope for.

I can see that Scrivener would have been brilliant to use from the beginning, but it's too late for that in this instance, but will certainly use it in future.

kewms

Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:29 am Post

Casuarina wrote:Katherine, what I'm hoping it will do is: provide a template for a page layout with consistent headings, and page settings that will enable the document to be printed out in book form , with page numbers from chapter 1 to the end.
I don't want an ebook.

I don't know whether it will organise footnotes or endnotes. I don't want the words to flow around the text.
I don't know whether the software exists that will automatically generate an index, I think that it too much to hope for.

Scrivener will do all of those things except the index. But so will Word. Scrivener's primary focus is on manuscript development: gathering and organizing research materials, outlining, writing, editing. It's page layout capabilities are fairly limited compared to something like Word, and certainly next to dedicated page layout programs.

Often, people who bring nearly finished manuscripts into Scrivener find themselves very frustrated by the need to adopt a somewhat unique approach to the entire manuscript when all they really wanted was page headers and chapter numbers.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

lunk

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:21 am Post

Casuarina wrote:a template for a page layout with consistent headings, and page settings that will enable the document to be printed out in book form , with page numbers from chapter 1 to the end.
Pages can do that.
Why go a complicated way via Scrivener, which is not made for layout but writing? Pages is really good at fixing the layout nowadays, and so is Nisus Writer Pro, and Word, although not as good as e.g. Affinity Publisher.

Why this sudden urge to use Scrivener for something it’s not designed to do?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

mb
mbbntu

Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:01 am Post

Casuarina wrote: I don't think it had been invented when I started this project.

Must be a long project! I've been using Scrivener since 2006-2007. In fact, I'm trying to remember when Pages came on the scene. It may even be younger than Scrivener -- though I seem to recall it is descended from Claris Works, which was around in the days of OS9, if not before.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

lunk

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 am Post

Pages was released in its first version in 2005.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

mb
mbbntu

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:39 am Post

You have a much better memory than mine! These days I am lucky if I can remember what decade something happened.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

lunk

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:21 am Post

Ca
Casuarina

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:25 am Post

lunk wrote:
Casuarina wrote:a template for a page layout with consistent headings, and page settings that will enable the document to be printed out in book form , with page numbers from chapter 1 to the end.
Pages can do that.
Why go a complicated way via Scrivener, which is not made for layout but writing? Pages is really good at fixing the layout nowadays, and so is Nisus Writer Pro, and Word, although not as good as e.g. Affinity Publisher.

Why this sudden urge to use Scrivener for something it’s not designed to do?

Thank you for these wise words. I will go back to Pages to see if it will actually number the pages correctly.
Have you used it to do this? When I tried, it would run the numbers from the title page.
When I used Word to print a book previously I had to create a single document, ie, put all the chapters together and it
would number the pages and head up the chapters as I wanted. When I last tried to get Pages to do this, it was without success, which is why I've been looking at other solutions.