Mac to Dropbox/ Mac to iPad

pi
picypoe
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:27 am Post

lunk wrote:I usually use three Macs and one iPad. All Macs have the Dropbox app installed

It is great that it works for you on all three Macs + an iPad.

lunk wrote:If you use Dropbox...?

Any suggestions on what else I can use? Scrivener supports only Dropbox. I did loads of tests, and Katherine confirmed that too.

lunk wrote: Why not use Scrivener’s built-in system for syncing and backups?

Please re-read my previous posts. But to save the hassle: my iMac as of recently CAN'T use Dropbox. . Therefore the only option right now:

a) USB (move project to a PC/MAC with working Dropbox and sync from there)
b) Airdrop to iPhone > Files... > Open in Scrivener: On Local Phone > test if all works > move to Scrivener:Dropbox for sync > test again > remove the old project
c) maybe Scriv community knows alternatives?

Ta
TadeoBlanco

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:04 am Post

picypoe wrote:
Please re-read my previous posts. But to save the hassle: my iMac as of recently CAN'T use Dropbox. . Therefore the only option right now:

a) USB (move project to a PC/MAC with working Dropbox and sync from there)
b) Airdrop to iPhone > Files... > Open in Scrivener: On Local Phone > test if all works > move to Scrivener:Dropbox for sync > test again > remove the old project
c) maybe Scriv community knows alternatives?

May I ask why your Mac CAN’T use Dropbox? The technical requirements are minimal.

rdale

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:40 pm Post

I see you mentioned that you have the dropbox app on your iOS device(s). That shouldn't be necessary. I don't have it on my iphone, but Scrivener for iOS can still sync project changes with dropbox, because that function is built-in.

I don't know if that will help your situation at all, but one thing it does do is reduces the number of Dropbox-authorized "devices", iOS Scrivener's authorization for Dropbox counts as an "app", rather than a whole device, and so doesn't count against the limit.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

devinganger

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:16 pm Post

lunk wrote:That’s impossible. The syncing procedure only upload/download changed files. Are you moving the project out of and into the Dropbox folder every time on the Mac or PC? The simplest way is to use Dropbox, provided you have the DB app installed and running on both Mac and PC and don’t have a lot of other files and stuff in the folder iOS Scrivener is trying to sync.

It's not impossible. OP had stated that Dropbox wasn't working from Mac, so they were using Files to move the entire project to iOS Scrivener local, then moving it to Dropbox. Doing it that way will cause Dropbox to scan the entire project, not see it as an update, if I remember correctly -- all new GUIDs assigned for all the files, etc.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes