Scrivener Crashes

Fi
Fitch
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:10 pm Post

Kieth, thanks for the update.

Your update sounds good. This has been a long running issue, but your diagnosis explains why it was so hard to find.

Well done.

Fitch

jp
jpkell
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:20 pm Post

KB wrote:Scrivener observes changes to the Scratch Pad folder using an Apple technology called Grand Central Dispatch; this allows Scrivener to get notified whenever a file changes in the folder so that it can refresh the list in the Scratch Pad UI. These crashes seem to be related to that, but they are so deep in the OS that I'm not sure how to fix the issue and continue to use GCD. So for the next update I've ripped out that code and have made it so that the Scratch Pad window just updates its content when it is brought to the front, or when Scrivener is activated (brought to the front). That should be enough for most cases - the only time that won't catch a change is if the Scratch Pad folder has synced changes via a cloud service while the Scratch Pad is open. For that case, I've also added a "refresh" button. It's a little less automatic, but it should at least - I hope! - avoid these crashes in future.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith, Am I correct that the update you mention (the one that might help with Scratchpad-induced crashing) hasn't been released yet? (I'm running 3.1.2.)

Thanks!

kewms

Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:38 pm Post

You are correct, the version with the fix has not yet been released.

However, the current version is 3.1.5. You might want to upgrade for *other* bug fixes, particularly if you are (or plan to be) using Catalina.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Mc
McB

Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:33 am Post

Just to say, over the last few weeks this has been happening a lot to me - ie it crashes on opening, up comes the window to report it (which I do), I reopen and all is well until the next time. I have to quit the prog each time because I work on two computers . I have Big Sur 11.1 and Scrivener 3.2.2. I am reluctant to trash all my preferences, built up over several years, so just put up with the crashes, but it is odd ...

kewms

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:29 pm Post

McB wrote:Just to say, over the last few weeks this has been happening a lot to me - ie it crashes on opening, up comes the window to report it (which I do), I reopen and all is well until the next time. I have to quit the prog each time because I work on two computers . I have Big Sur 11.1 and Scrivener 3.2.2. I am reluctant to trash all my preferences, built up over several years, so just put up with the crashes, but it is odd ...

I'd recommend resetting your preferences to see if that's the problem. Make a copy first so that you can restore them if it's not. But not only are crashes annoying, they do carry a risk of data loss. It's generally not good to just ignore them.

To reset Scrivener's Preferences file, go here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... references

To reset the display settings for an individual project, go here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... y-settings
(Do this first, as most of the crashes I've seen with Big Sur are project-specific.)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Mc
McB

Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:53 am Post

My Scriverner crashes every time I open it on desktop. I then have to re-open and it is fine until the next time. I have Big Sur on Mac (11.1) and Scrivener 3.2.2

kewms

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:25 pm Post

If resetting Preferences as described in the previous message doesn't help, please send a copy of the crash report to our support address, here:
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Flag it as [URGENT] if you need a response immediately, as we are currently (largely) shut down for the holidays.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team