Scrivener Crashes

Marc64
Platform: Mac

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:51 am Post

It's happened a number of times lately. More often than not, it's happened when I've gone to close a project (but not the application) but yesterday, I opened a 2nd project but it then completely froze and I had to force quit. It reopened without issue but when I opened Scrivener this morning, I got the following:

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 09.42.18.png
Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 09.42.18.png (457.65 KiB) Viewed 327 times

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 09.42.50.png
Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 09.42.50.png (489.01 KiB) Viewed 327 times

I've submitted the report but was wondering if anyone else was having similar issues.

I'm on 3.1.5 which I believe is the latest version.

Thanks.
Thanks in advance for your patience with this non- techie user

Scrivener 3.1.5
Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.6
Blog: https://marcfalber.co.uk/

Marc64

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:25 am Post

And again overnight.

Scrivener 3.1.5
Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.6

xiamenese

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:52 am Post

The first thing I'd try is, with Scrivener closed, go to ~/Your Username/Library/Preferences (hold down Opt and click on the "Go" menu in finder to get there) find com.literatureandlatte.scrivener3.plist and move it onto your desktop. Then open Scrivener, it'll create a new Preferences file, so if that sorts the problem out you're going to have to reset all your preferences, I'm afraid. If that doesn't work, remove the new file and move the old one back in place, then get in touch with support@literatureandlatte.com referencing this thread. I hope you sent that crash report in to Lit & Lat … you should be able to find the details using the Console if not.

Hope that helps,

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Marc64

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:01 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:The first thing I'd try is, with Scrivener closed, go to ~/Your Username/Library/Preferences (hold down Opt and click on the "Go" menu in finder to get there) find com.literatureandlatte.scrivener3.plist and move it onto your desktop. Then open Scrivener, it'll create a new Preferences file, so if that sorts the problem out you're going to have to reset all your preferences, I'm afraid. If that doesn't work, remove the new file and move the old one back in place, then get in touch with support@literatureandlatte.com referencing this thread. I hope you sent that crash report in to Lit & Lat … you should be able to find the details using the Console if not.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes, I submitted the report. I was just curious to see if anyone else was having similar issues

Scrivener 3.1.5
Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.6

xiamenese

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:05 pm Post

Marc64 wrote:
xiamenese wrote:The first thing I'd try is, with Scrivener closed, go to ~/Your Username/Library/Preferences (hold down Opt and click on the "Go" menu in finder to get there) find com.literatureandlatte.scrivener3.plist and move it onto your desktop. Then open Scrivener, it'll create a new Preferences file, so if that sorts the problem out you're going to have to reset all your preferences, I'm afraid. If that doesn't work, remove the new file and move the old one back in place, then get in touch with support@literatureandlatte.com referencing this thread. I hope you sent that crash report in to Lit & Lat … you should be able to find the details using the Console if not.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes, I submitted the report. I was just curious to see if anyone else was having similar issues

The only thing that crashes for me is my 5K iMac running Catalina, which crashes regularly even when I have no apps running! When I can come out of lockdown, I'll take it to my chum, ask him to completely reformat the SSID and install Mojave! Until then, I have to be really careful if I'm using it … and there are apps for which I need it 'cos my rock-solid 2011 17" MBP is not up to it.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Marc64

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:57 pm Post

TerranceM wrote:1) Try holding down the Shift key while you open Scrivener, as that will open it without loading any project. If it opens like that, then try loading the project you were the last working on; if it crashes then, there's something wrong in the project.

If that's the case, zip it up and attach it to an email to support@literatureandlatte.com, so they can check what's wrong and correct it.

2) If it still crashes with the Shift key held down, in Finder, hold down the Opt key and choose to Go > Library > Preferences and drag any com.literatureandlatte…plist files onto your desktop. Then open Scrivener again. If it opens, try loading your project; if the project loads, you're good to go and you can trash the com.litetc…plist files on your desktop, but you'll have to reset your preferences.

Apologies for the lateness of my reply.

I haven't tried any of the solutions yet but then it hasn't crashed over the last week. I'm reluctant to do anything for the moment as I'm not overly confident with computers.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Scrivener 3.1.5
Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.6