how to synchronize the Outliner or Scrivenings?

4m
4miler

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:16 pm Post

If I have two panels, the Outliner in the left panel, and the Scrivenings in the right panel (the Binder is hidden), is there a way for the Outliner and Scrivenings to be in sync?

i.e. if I click an item in the Outliner in the left panel, I want to readily be brought, in the right panel, to the corresponding Scrivenings.

I searched the forum for the word "sync" but nothing came up.

At present, in the attached screen shot, if I click any item in the Outliner on the left panel, there is no action in the right panel (the Scrivenings). When I click something in the Outliner, I would like to be taken to the corresponding point in the Scrivenings.

Likewise, if I click on an item in the Scrivenings, how can I readily be brought to the corresponding area in the Outliner?

In the example in the screenshot, where there are only a handful of items in the Outliner, it's easy to manually find the corresponding location in the Scrivenings - but it's not so easy when there are several hundreds of items in the Outliner.
Attachments
tt.jpg
tt.jpg (368.38 KiB) Viewed 203 times

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac

Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:16 pm Post

The answer is in your very screenshot! Look in the footer of your Outline view. See that box with the right-pointing arrow, fourth icon in the footer? Click that and every time you click on an outline item, the corresponding document will be opened in your right-hand editor.

Hope this helps!
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her silicon hoard
  • Mac Scrivener 3.2.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • iOS Scrivener 1.2.1, iPad 6, iPhone 12 pro, i(Pad)OS 14.4.1

4m
4miler

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:40 am Post

Thanks! Exactly what I needed.