Scrivener 3 Crashing After macOS 10.15.4 Update

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:04 pm Post

Don’t know if this will help, but for walk-away processes (video processing, backups, big uploads), I always set my mac to Prevent sleep when the monitor sleeps (Energy Saver) before I walk away. Saves a lot of heartache.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

salamandermike

Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:21 pm Post

gr wrote:Don’t know if this will help, but for walk-away processes (video processing, backups, big uploads), I always set my mac to Prevent sleep when the monitor sleeps (Energy Saver) before I walk away. Saves a lot of heartache.

My original post seems to have inspired some therapeutic venting about macOS Catalina. In my experience, issues with any and all OS software stem from with the overall tech world philosophy, "Move fast and break things." The product is directly correlated to the philosophy that builds it... much like people in general, actually. But, moving on...

@GR, this has been my strategy for many years as it seems allowing a computer to sleep introduces corruption in the saved state code. The more often you wake/sleep the device, the more corrupted the state becomes. Best practice is to set your screen to turn off without sleeping when not using it, then shut down the computer completely at the end of the day. Older devices have more trouble with this than newer.

For my own issue, Catalina has been fine with Scrivener, save for a few hiccups from the initial release (common). The sole problem I had came from the minor update from macOS 10.15.3 to 10.15.4. Only then is when the crashing began.

Unlike most people in this thread, I've really enjoyed the stability and features of Catalina. But, that could likely be because my hardware is a more recent iteration.
    MacBook Pro 16" (late 2019), 10.15.4, 16Gb, 2TB
    iPad Pro (2016), iPadOS 13.4.1, 64Gb, Apple Pencil
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.4.1, 128Gb

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:37 pm Post

Venting aside, have you opened a support ticket? The responses to this thread suggest it's not a common issue, so we'll probably need to dig into your specific configuration to find the problem.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

br
brookter

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:48 pm Post

@Mark

Not so good, indeed...

I saw this on MacRumors after I read your initial post: looks like there's several people suffering from what may be a connected bug? https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/06/macos-10-5-4-kernel-panic-crashing-issues/

xiamenese

Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:55 am Post

brookter wrote:@Mark

Not so good, indeed...

I saw this on MacRumors after I read your initial post: looks like there's several people suffering from what may be a connected bug? https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/06/macos-10-5-4-kernel-panic-crashing-issues/

Thanks @brookter, that is somewhat reassuring that there are people who do understand what's going on at a low level, and that they are working with Apple. I haven't yet checked the sleep options on the iMac, as I haven't booted up since before I read that post.

Anyway, I'm sorry to have somewhat hijacked the OP's thread. At least now I'm back up and running, I can see if the oddities I had with Scrivener are still happening. One was when highlighting and changing a word immediately followed by a quotation mark with the cursor jumping to after the quotation mark after typing the first letter of the new word. But I'll have to do some experimenting to check that it wasn't something I was doing!

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

br
brookter

Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:12 pm Post

@Mark

A new supplemental update for 10.15.4 was released last night. It may be worth trying to see if that's fixed the problem.

xiamenese

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:04 pm Post

I’ve already installed it, so I’ll see. But reading the notes it doesn’t seem to address the bugs discussed in that article. Anyway, no doubt I’ll find out soon if they’ve cured it.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

se
se1961

Sun May 10, 2020 12:23 pm Post

Last November (early adopter), I ended up rolling back to Mojave from Catalina on three different computers, after finding an OS bug described here: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60094 (my bug report is at the end of the thread). Checked the board today in hopes that it might have been fixed. It doesn't seem so. And, from reading this thread, I guess there are lots of other reasons to stay put.

salamandermike

Tue May 12, 2020 4:20 pm Post

I resolved my issue. Read on if you'd like to know the details...

One particular Scrivener 3 file was crashing on me. It was an unusual file I created as a summary of book 'ideas.' Every folder was a new book with duplicate subfolders for sketches, notes, research, etc... There were probably over twenty book ideas in there, and I became interested in one of them. I started sketching chapters in that one folder without bothering to move it to a new file.

Then, I updated to macOS 10.15.4 and the crashing began. It could be coincidence that the timing occurred after an update. Who knows?

I moved the book I was working on to a new file and continued working on it. No more crashes.

Moral: perhaps my large file of book ideas was confusing the Scrivener algorithms? This use case might be out of scope of the app. Or the file was too big since there were many books in there.

Anyhow, it's smooth sailing, and I am having no issues with Scrivener 3 on Catalina again.
    MacBook Pro 16" (late 2019), 10.15.4, 16Gb, 2TB
    iPad Pro (2016), iPadOS 13.4.1, 64Gb, Apple Pencil
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13.4.1, 128Gb

kewms

Tue May 12, 2020 4:24 pm Post

Apple also released a supplemental update -- without changing the version number -- that may have resolved the problem.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team