Disabling Snapshots Entirely

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:09 am Post

How do I go about disabling the "snapshot" feature within Scrivener 3? I went from a 20gig file to a 60gig file within two days after some heavy work on my WIP. I suspect it's due to snapshots, as I did a lot of manual saving during that time. It's the only thing that I can think of that would cause the enormous expansion in size in such a short period of time, as most of what I was doing was adding folders, text, and small sized (kb in size) icons in the synopsis and notes section for labeling purposes. I have went through the settings and I can't seem to find the option for disabling snapshots. Too, I have also deleted all accumulated snapshots, but it hasn't reduced the size at all. I just don't know what to do. As such I have started a new file and I am manually putting things back together, which is going to take months of work.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 4197
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 am Post

Have you emptied Scriveners internal Trash?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24312
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:39 pm Post

Although you can no more disable the snapshot feature than you can full screen, there may be certain optional features you added that are generating snapshots automatically. By default the feature is nearly entirely something you have to use yourself in order for anything to happen, like duplicating a document would be.

The two main options that might be generating snapshots are:

  • General: Saving: Take snapshot of changed text…
  • Sharing: Sync: Take snapshots before updating documents

There is also an option in each project’s File ▸ Sync ▸ with External Folder... settings sheet. Of course if don’t use that feature, it is irrelevant.

Too, I have also deleted all accumulated snapshots, but it hasn’t reduced the size at all. I just don’t know what to do. As such I have started a new file and I am manually putting things back together, which is going to take months of work.


How did you delete the snapshots? The best way is to use the Documents ▸ Snapshots ▸ Show Snapshot Manager menu command. You can bulk delete from there, and also run searches, like finding all older than one week, and then deleting them.

I do have to wonder if what you’re reporting is really a problem with snapshots though. While in theory I suppose one could triple the size of their project in two days, if they were doing widespread edits that impacted almost everything in the project—it’s the scale that has me wondering what is going on. If you were mainly editing text, then a forty gigabyte bloat doesn’t seem right. Just to put that into perspective, 100 pages of simply formatted text in Scrivener should be around 500kb.

So you’re saying you edited four million pages of content in two days? Kudos, if so!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
rdale
Posts: 2043
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:03 pm Post

20 gigabytes for a project is huge. By comparison, I have a project made up almost entirely of small images. Over 1000 of them. The whole project weighs in at 40 megabytes. That's 0.04 gigabytes. I can see how compulsively creating snapshots of documents (hitting CMD-s frequently as you write/edit) that have huge, high-resolution images in them would balloon your project to be very large, but I'm floored that you have one that's 20 gigabytes.

After deleting all of your snapshots, and emptying the project's trash folder for good measure, the only explanation I can think of for your project to be on the scale of gigabytes is that you have huge PDFs, high-resolution images, videos,audio files... Do you have media files in your project? How many? Can you "open in external editor" to see typical file sizes? That will probably lead you to find what's taking up such a vast amount of disk space.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 6447
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:30 pm Post

As noted, that kind of expansion probably isn't due to snapshots.

I once helped someone who had accidentally imported their entire photo library into a project. *That's* more the sort of thing I'd be looking for here.

One thing you might do is use Finder to look at the guts of the project: with Scrivener closed, locate the project in Finder, right-click, and select the option to Show Package Contents. Browse around looking for anything that seems especially large, and especially any data files that are *not* in the Files/Data subfolder.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

User avatar
auxbuss
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:50 pm
Platform: Mac
Contact:

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:11 pm Post

For anyone happy in terminal (or similar – I know, I know), the following command might help after navigating to the Scrivener project file:

Code: Select all

du -s * |  sort -rh

The output looks like this:

Code: Select all

3.0M   Files
272K   Settings
240K   project.scrivx
228K   QuickLook
  0B   Snapshots
  0B   Icons
ImageImage

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:20 pm Post

lunk wrote:Have you emptied Scriveners internal Trash?


Yeah, I do that several times a day, by habit.

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:25 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Although you can no more disable the snapshot feature than you can full screen, there may be certain optional features you added that are generating snapshots automatically. By default the feature is nearly entirely something you have to use yourself in order for anything to happen, like duplicating a document would be.

The two main options that might be generating snapshots are:

  • General: Saving: Take snapshot of changed text…
  • Sharing: Sync: Take snapshots before updating documents

There is also an option in each project’s File ▸ Sync ▸ with External Folder... settings sheet. Of course if don’t use that feature, it is irrelevant.

Too, I have also deleted all accumulated snapshots, but it hasn’t reduced the size at all. I just don’t know what to do. As such I have started a new file and I am manually putting things back together, which is going to take months of work.


How did you delete the snapshots? The best way is to use the Documents ▸ Snapshots ▸ Show Snapshot Manager menu command. You can bulk delete from there, and also run searches, like finding all older than one week, and then deleting them.

I do have to wonder if what you’re reporting is really a problem with snapshots though. While in theory I suppose one could triple the size of their project in two days, if they were doing widespread edits that impacted almost everything in the project—it’s the scale that has me wondering what is going on. If you were mainly editing text, then a forty gigabyte bloat doesn’t seem right. Just to put that into perspective, 100 pages of simply formatted text in Scrivener should be around 500kb.

So you’re saying you edited four million pages of content in two days? Kudos, if so!


I don't know what it is at this point. All I know is that all of the editing and shuffling around I've done has massively increased my WIP size. The file is almost unworkable now, as every time I go to make a change, I get the multi-colored pinwheel of death for fifteen minutes or more. I KNOW that the file shouldn't be this big. Hell, my norm at 20gig is pushing it. I just don't know what I can do other than start a new file and manually retype and reorganized everything. *heavy sigh*

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:28 pm Post

rdale wrote:Can you "open in external editor" to see typical file sizes?


That is what I am in the process of doing now as I have started a new file and I am migrating all text and references into the new file and I am checking the size of each thing before I transfer it. This is going to take months.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 4197
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:31 pm Post

Why not simple check the content of the project package? Reveal content and then go through some of the files to find the big chunkc causing this.
You could also download an app that does this for you, that shows the size of subfolders etc.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:33 pm Post

kewms wrote:One thing you might do is use Finder to look at the guts of the project: with Scrivener closed, locate the project in Finder, right-click, and select the option to Show Package Contents. Browse around looking for anything that seems especially large, and especially any data files that are *not* in the Files/Data subfolder.

Katherine


Here's a screenshot of the "Show Package Contents".
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 1.30.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 1.30.55 PM.png (414.54 KiB) Viewed 716 times

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:35 pm Post

auxbuss wrote:For anyone happy in terminal (or similar – I know, I know), the following command might help after navigating to the Scrivener project file:

Code: Select all

du -s * |  sort -rh

The output looks like this:

Code: Select all

3.0M   Files
272K   Settings
240K   project.scrivx
228K   QuickLook
  0B   Snapshots
  0B   Icons


I don't understand what you're asking me to do here...

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:36 pm Post

lunk wrote:Why not simple check the content of the project package? Reveal content and then go through some of the files to find the big chunkc causing this.
You could also download an app that does this for you, that shows the size of subfolders etc.


I posted a screenshot of the project package so that you can see that nothing is making any sense.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 4197
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:37 pm Post

Everything is making sense.
When you’ve revealed the package content, simply browse down into the Data folder and its subfolders to see what you find, if there are something especially large.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 pm Post

lunk wrote:Everything is making sense.
When you’ve revealed the package content, simply browse down into the Data folder and its subfolders to see what you find, if there are something especially large.


I've expanded the "Data folder", there's nothing there.