Spelling & Special Characters

fe
fememi
Platform: Mac

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:41 pm Post

Hello,

I have two questions regarding spelling and special characters:

I write in Spanish and I would like to know if I can turn it on in this language so I have the squiggly lines when I misspell something, instead of having to open the Spellcheck.

On the other hand, I want to know if there is a feature like the AutoCorrect in Microsoft Word, i.e. when I write a set of characters, they automatically get replaced by an special character. In Spanish the quotation marks are not “” but «». When I use Word I have set it that when I write << or >> they get replaced. Is there a way to do this in Scrivener?

Thanks a lot
Federico

auxbuss

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:31 pm Post

Dictionary languages are controlled by maOS in Preferences/Keyboard/Text/Spelling

Set this to Automatic by Language, then select the languages you use. I use British English, Spanish, and French, and it works fine in Scrivener.

Similarly, autocorrect-type functionality can be set via Preferences/Keyboard/Text in the Replace/With panel.
ImageImage

He
HelmutHauser

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:31 am Post

Is there a way to switch it off only for Scrivener and not for all applications (i.e., through general preferences)? Ticking the box off in Scrivener preferences doesn't work for me. I still get the squiggly line.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Best regards,
Helmut

al
allison.diry
Platform: Windows

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:18 pm Post

Hi !
I have the same question but on Windows : Where can I find the "preferences" menu ?
Thnaks in advance :)

auxbuss wrote:Dictionary languages are controlled by maOS in Preferences/Keyboard/Text/Spelling

Set this to Automatic by Language, then select the languages you use. I use British English, Spanish, and French, and it works fine in Scrivener.

Similarly, autocorrect-type functionality can be set via Preferences/Keyboard/Text in the Replace/With panel.

xiamenese

Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 pm Post

On Windows, it’s "Options", not "Preferences", but if you need help, you’d be far better off posting in the Windows forums.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

fe
fememi

Thu May 07, 2020 1:07 pm Post

Hi Auxbuss
Thanks a lot for your answer and sorry for the delay in thanking you ;)

Where do I set up the languages in Scrivener? I don't seem to find it.

Thanks

auxbuss wrote:Dictionary languages are controlled by maOS in Preferences/Keyboard/Text/Spelling

xiamenese

Thu May 07, 2020 2:34 pm Post

fememi wrote:Hi Auxbuss
Thanks a lot for your answer and sorry for the delay in thanking you ;)

Where do I set up the languages in Scrivener? I don't seem to find it.

Thanks

Apple > System Preferences > Language and Region
Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard > Text
Scrivener > Preferences > General > Language

Hope that helps

Mark (@auxbuss must be asleep at the moment, I think :D)
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …