Quick way to hide documents in Scrivenings mode?

Mi
Mirskyman

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:37 am Post

Hi. I haven't used Scrivener in a while, I have version 3.1.4.

I have a a few questions:

When I have a folder selected in the Binder and I'm viewing its documents in Scrivenings mode, is there a way to temporarily hide some of those documents? For instance, if I'm writing a screenplay and have one document for each scene, I might want to temporarily see what the script looks like (in Scrivenings mode) without a few of the scenes, though I don't want to delete those scenes yet. I would still want those documents to show up in the Binder, but not display in Scrivenings mode. Ideally the Binder could indicate that that particular document will be hidden in Scrivenings mode.

The closest workaround I could think of would be to do this: assign a Label to the scenes I don't want to see. Then do a search for the Label and then chose Invert Results. Is that what people recommend?

Thanks,

M

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:38 pm Post

There is a good way of doing that. The fundamentals of the technique are described in the user manual, under §6.4, Multiple Selections. There are two basics ways of using group views (as you’ll find in that section, some variations on them depending on precisely how you select things), one is to view the subdocuments of the thing you have selected—that’s what you’re doing right now—and the other is to select multiple things at once, and view only those things.

So of course the most direct and intuitive way of creating a Scrivenings session of 8 out of 11 items in a folder is to Cmd-click (or use a combination of Shift and Cmd-clicking) to select those eight items. However what is most efficient depends on how many things you want to select. That’s a lot of clicking in this case.

There is another method that works better when you want most of the folder’s subdocuments included:

1. With that folder selected in the binder, use the Edit ▸ Select ▸ Select with Subdocuments menu command (or better yet, just hit ⌥⌘A).

Note the editor header bar! It has gone from printing the folder name to declaring a “multiple selection”. We’re already in the mode of usage that we want, now we just need to refine the selection.
  2. Using Cmd-click, remove the items from the selection. Cmd-clicking works as a toggle, not just as an additive selection tool.

At this point you should have the result you want after a few clicks. You can verify this by clicking the “jump to scrivenings” button, marked as (c) in Figure 8.1 (pg. 144). It should only list the scenes you are interested in reading through.

Try clicking on the folder all by itself in the binder at this point. The full chapter will come back up and you’ve lost all of your hard work setting up the selection… or have you? :) Click the Back button in the editor, and you’ll find yourself right back where you were.

So that’s good to keep in mind! Multiple selections are a kind of thing, where it comes to the history feature, and since history is persistent from one session to the next, these special selections can be stored for quite some time before they eventually fall off the list. You’re free to navigate without fear of losing these custom views.

That said, they are somewhat more volatile than other things, especially if you jump around a lot—plus, they can’t be named for purposes of right-clicking on the history button and jumping straight to them. So there is one other trick to know about, and that is the ability to save selections. We do this by using the Collections feature—you might not think of those as being saved selections, but they absolutely are, considering how they integrate with the rest of the software.

1. With your Multiple Selection in the editor, switch to either corkboard or outliner as you prefer.
  2. Press ⌘A to select all.
  3. Use the Documents ▸ Collections ▸ New Collection... menu command, and give it an appropriate name, maybe something like “Chapter 8: Alternate”.
  4. You can switch back to Scrivenings now and close the collection view in the sidebar. You’re done, this special selection is now preserved for the long term.

Let’s see how to get it back:

1. Click on something else in the binder for the sake of illustration.
  2. Right-click anywhere in the editor header bar, and use the Go To Collection submenu to select your collection.

Note how it loads in the editor instead of the sidebar? It may even already be in Scrivenings view mode.

Of course the cool thing about collections is that, unlike true Multiple Selections, you are in control of the order of the items within them. At any point you can switch to Corkboard and drag a scene around to change the flow of the chapter, then back to Scrivenings to read the results.

And like I said, Collections are a kind of saved selection as well. To actually see that in effect, switch your view mode to Corkboard, select all of the cards, and use the Navigate ▸ Reveal in Binder menu command. And there you go! Now you have your original selection back, and you can cmd-click to fine tune it, etc.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Mi
Mirskyman

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:03 pm Post

Fantastic! Amber, thanks so much!