I guess Scrivner is way better on MAC

Le
Leoyarms

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:20 pm Post

'm aware that the Mac version has more features, and I have read the list of them. I've been trying the software out on Windows and I love it. What I'm wondering is, from a user experience perspective, is it considerably more pleasant to use Scrivener on Mac than on Windows?

I've been saving up to get a new laptop, and I'm torn between a particular Windows computer and a rose gold Macbook Air (because, c'mon, it's pink). I've been considering switching back to Mac because I'm burnt out by the Windows user interface (because of my job) and honestly when I write I just don't want to feel like I'm looking at a computer.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:57 pm Post

You're in the Mac forum. Of course the response is going to be that Macs are better.

After Scrivener, my second most critical application is DevonThink, which is Mac only. That alone would be enough to make me stay with the platform.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

The Great Edhead
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:10 am Post

Save your money, the Windows 3.0 version of Scrivener will be out soon and you can purchase a windows pc with virtually identical specs to a mac for a lot less.

I own both a Windows (well dual boot windows/linux)PC and a Mac and I've never been particularly impressed with Mac. I'll spare you the tirade on what i dislike about it, but if you're happy with Windows keep chugging along with Windows. There really is no reason to purchase a Mac if Windows meets your needs.

If you really are interested in a Mac, do yourself a favor and try it out before buying, either go to a store and play around with a display model or else borrow one from a friend. Do what works for you, but don't buy into the hype or the perception that Macs are the more 'premium' devices. There are some really nice devices running Windows these days.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:24 am Post

The Great Edhead wrote:[...generic Mac vs Windows blather...]

That's great and all, but the OP was specifically asking the *Scrivener for Mac* vs. *Scrivener for Windows* experience, not a rehash of one of the greatest religious wars of the late 20th/early 21st century.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

As
Astaff

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:33 am Post

The Great Edhead wrote:Do what works for you, but don't buy into the hype or the perception that Macs are the more 'premium' devices.

I’m not going to go into the Mac/Win argument in depth however the ‘don’t buy into’ mantra from some Win supporters ignores the fact that IBM and other major corporations have found and publicly stated that despite a slightly higher initial price the total cost of ownership including support on Macs is lower than equivalent performance PCs and productivity is higher.

Of course that’s a finding over tens of thousands of units and individuals will find one or the other suits their circumstances and OS preferences.

So make your decision on what works for you and don’t be put off by anti Mac diatribes.

I also have Win (self built very high spec) and Mac and for me the Mac is by far the more productive. While Scrivener V3 Win is very good, the Mac version is just that little better. (IMHO)
Last edited by Astaff on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

auxbuss

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:37 am Post

On a slight tangent: I bought one of the new Airs last November specifically for writing (with Scrivener, of course). It's pretty much perfect, if you want near iPad-portability with an inbuilt keyboard. The single finger-tap sign in means time to writing is literally one second. Add the in-built dictionaries and thesaurus (integrated with Scrivener via a keystroke), and it's writing heaven :-)

tl;dr; I'd think about the combo of machine and Scrivener (plus other apps) rather than simply Windows Scrivener vs macOS Scrivener.

P.S. The biggest issue folk I know have had moving from Apple to Windows laptops is the touchpad. Apple nailed the touchpad, and for some reason, other laptop manufacturers have struggled to achieve the same ease of use.

xiamenese

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:47 am Post

I'm not going into the Win v Mac comparison. I'm a Mac user, but I keep an eye on the Windows version as my collaborator uses Windows. Win v.3 is very capable, though there will inevitably be slight unavoidable differences between the two.

Honestly? I think you really answered your own question:

I've been considering switching back to Mac because I'm burnt out by the Windows user interface (because of my job)

That aside, in your place, I'd go to an Apple store and have a good try with the Mac you're thinking of buying. For instance, if you can't get on with the keyboard, you won't enjoy using Scrivener on it. And I'd also agree with Auxbuss when s/he says:

I'd think about the combo of machine and Scrivener (plus other apps) rather than simply Windows Scrivener vs macOS Scrivener.

as you might well need other apps while working on your magnum opus like internet access or image editing, etc..

My half-p. :)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Tr
Tribalrose
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:05 pm Post

auxbuss wrote:P.S. The biggest issue folk I know have had moving from Apple to Windows laptops is the touchpad. Apple nailed the touchpad, and for some reason, other laptop manufacturers have struggled to achieve the same ease of use.

That's interesting because when I started using a MacBook Pro (got a new but dated one so cost wasn't that high), the thing that made me hate it was the touchpad. When I finally wised up and put an actual mouse on it, I began to get over the initial negative feelings.

My use of the MacBook came about because of Vellum, not Scriv, but I've been using Scriv on it too since the great mouse enlightenment. I wrote books happily on Scriv for Windows and didn't start on the Mac because of any unhappiness with it. If I compiled for publication instead of just to get my work out of Scriv and into other programs, maybe I'd feel differently because it's my sense that Compile is where the Windows version had noticeably less features.

The Great Edhead

Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:53 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
The Great Edhead wrote:[...generic Mac vs Windows blather...]

That's great and all, but the OP was specifically asking the *Scrivener for Mac* vs. *Scrivener for Windows* experience, not a rehash of one of the greatest religious wars of the late 20th/early 21st century.

I'm curious, did you actually read my post? I told him to save his money that Scrivener 3 for windows would be out soon, (Because you know Scrivener 3 on Mac and Windows will be virtually identical). I went on to tell him that if he really was interested in a Mac that he should try it out before actually buying it and to use what works best for him. Though I dislike Macs, my opinion doesn't hold for everyone and I do believe that people should use what they like.

The Great Edhead

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:03 pm Post

Astaff wrote:
The Great Edhead wrote:Do what works for you, but don't buy into the hype or the perception that Macs are the more 'premium' devices.

I’m not going to go into the Mac/Win argument in depth however the ‘don’t buy into’ mantra from some Win supporters ignores the fact that IBM and other major corporations have found and publicly stated that despite a slightly higher initial price the total cost of ownership including support on Macs is lower than equivalent performance PCs and productivity is higher.

That may be true for IBM, but from my own experiences it's bunk. Your talking about professional units built specifically for the private sector. I purchased my laptop for around $500 on sale that's about $400 dollars less than the cheapest Mac. The specs are fairly similar, but not quite as powerful. It does what I need to do and it runs silky smooth. If it does kick the bucket I can purchase another one for around the same price and I'll have purchased two laptops for roughly the price of one Mac. How is that cheaper than buying a Mac?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:21 pm Post

The Great Edhead wrote:[I'll have purchased two laptops for roughly the price of one Mac. How is that cheaper than buying a Mac?

It’s not, and you probably meant the opposite, but you need to spend time moving from the first to the second PC, and time is money. The reason that IBM decided to switch to Mac was that the overall maintenance costs for a large-scale PC-ecosystem were so high that they exceeded the difference in initial investment when buying and installing new computers.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

wa
warrenao

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:42 pm Post

kewms wrote:After Scrivener, my second most critical application is DevonThink, which is Mac only. That alone would be enough to make me stay with the platform.

Katherine

The entire reason I discovered Scrivener, lo these many years ago, was I was looking for a fuller-featured replacement for DevonNote, DevonThink's little sibling. Specifically I was looking for an iOS version as well. This was when Scrivener for iOS was still years away from being done, but there were persistent rumors and I decided to get in early.

Along the way I fell deeply in love with Scrivener on the desktop.

It's now very much a "from my cold dead hands" kind of app, an absolute essential for getting any work done on macOS or iOS.

I can't speak to the Windows experience. But considering Win10 is the least awful version of Windows I've ever seen, and particularly if Scrivener for Win is close to the Mac experience, you'll just about surely find it preferable to any other word processor out there.

devinganger

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:51 am Post

The Great Edhead wrote:(Because you know Scrivener 3 on Mac and Windows will be virtually identical).

That's funny, I've been a tester for both, and I would disagree with that statement. In many small and hard-to-define ways (that nevertheless add up to make a large difference if they happen to intersect with one's personal style), Scrivener on Mac is just a slightly nicer experience all around. The *only* reason I don't use my Mac as my daily writing platform is that I have a couple of kids in college and money to buy a newer Mac (or Windows PC, for that matter) isn't in the budget yet, and a friend gave me a Surface Pro 3 so that's my main computer right now -- decent enough for browsing, email, Scriv, and few other tasks, but not enough graphics oomph for some of the other tasks I need to use it for. And this is coming from someone who has been using Windows since Windows 3 on DOS. I personally prefer the PC platform slightly, but Scriv is a native Mac application and is always going to feel a little bit more at home there.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Sparrowhawk

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:41 pm Post

Leoyarms wrote:'m aware that the Mac version has more features, and I have read the list of them. I've been trying the software out on Windows and I love it. What I'm wondering is, from a user experience perspective, is it considerably more pleasant to use Scrivener on Mac than on Windows?

I've been saving up to get a new laptop, and I'm torn between a particular Windows computer and a rose gold Macbook Air (because, c'mon, it's pink). I've been considering switching back to Mac because I'm burnt out by the Windows user interface (because of my job) and honestly when I write I just don't want to feel like I'm looking at a computer.

The Mac Version is always slightly ahead (even of the 3.0 Win Beta that I'm currently using), but I find the Windows Scriv 3 Beta more than fits my needs - like most people, I don't use half of Scriveners available features, and with Windows now having the same formats to compile to, the only big qualm for me using the Windows only is over.

That being said, from an OS side, I do prefer MacOS over Windows. But some of their hardware changes (mainly that I cannot upgrade as many parts to make the machine last longer) have made me unwilling to spend the money on them and I am back over to Windows alone for the time being. But if upfront cost is not an issue, I would still recommend Mac. If cost is an issue, the Windows version for most people will not be any noticeably different in function with the release of 3.0.
You will find more evidence of the ridiculousness of humanity in the bathroom mirror than any other place in the world.