Is it possible to find these 'hidden' links in text?

Ma
MaxG
Platform: Mac

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:05 pm Post

Suppose I write some text like this.. And attach an external link to it (here: http://www.literatureandlatte.com).

Now, when I lateron search this Scrivener file for the link http://www.literatureandlatte.com, I get no search results.

Question: Is it possible to find these 'hidden' links in the text?

Question: If this is not possible, would that be a good feature request?

Ma
MaxG

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:06 am Post

I asked this question multiple times last months. Is there no support anymore?

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 pm Post

You can use Edit->Find->Find by Formatting. Choose "Links" from the drop-down list. You might even be able to put the URL into the text field of the search to find a specific link, but I'm not sure if that will work.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:31 pm Post

You cannot search by URL just yet (the soon to be released 3.1.4 compatibility update for macOS 10.15 will indeed add this capability). But that aside, the link finder tool is the way to trawl through links, albeit manually and slowly for now.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ma
MaxG

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:50 am Post

rdale wrote:You can use Edit->Find->Find by Formatting. Choose "Links" from the drop-down list. You might even be able to put the URL into the text field of the search to find a specific link, but I'm not sure if that will work.

Thanks rdale, but that doest work. I was talking about hidden links. So not written out as text, but behind the text.

Ma
MaxG

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:50 am Post

AmberV wrote:You cannot search by URL just yet (the soon to be released 3.1.4 compatibility update for macOS 10.15 will indeed add this capability). But that aside, the link finder tool is the way to trawl through links, albeit manually and slowly for now.

Thanks AmberV.
• So, it will find hidden links? Thus, not written out as text, but link behind the text?
• And will 3.1.4 also work on High Sierra?

AmberV

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:36 am Post

Yes, it will locate the URL itself hidden behind the text you can read. It will highlight the visible text if the underlying URL is a match. And if you've never used that tool before, even though it works more like regular Find, it will step through the entire project, going from one file to the next, so you don't have to know where the URL is, in your binder.

And yes, the update should work fine on macOS 10.13.
Ioa Petra'ka

Ma
MaxG

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:46 pm Post

Excellent, thanks for your time AmberV.

That not only helps me finding links within the many project I made with Scrivener, but also gives way to a new application of Scrivener: a separate bookmarks file.

So a collection/database of links (+ additional notes if you like) that can be kept independent of a browser. With a system pref like Multibrowser (https://sites.google.com/site/tesseract ... ltibrowser) one clicks a link and then the browser to open this link with can be chosen. Which can also be a webapp made with an app like Fluid (http://www.fluidapp.com).

AmberV

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:40 pm Post

You think like I do! I may use a different method (with Markdown bookmark lists, the URL is never hidden), but I’ve been using text files, and thus Scrivener (as the Great Gatherer of Text Files) to list links together, often even over my browser’s lists. I still bookmark things in the browser as well, if I think they’ll be generally useful, but since I use Scrivener as a kind of general-purpose notebook for major endeavours of any kind, for many things where large quantities of very specific bookmarks are needed, keeping them in the main notebook project is better. It allows for a more descriptive way of working with them, particularly if you use one card per reference. That’s not always necessary, but if I have tons of them and need a lot of metadata and organisation tools (like the freeform corkboard) to manage them, it’s better than a huge text file.

And unlike browser bookmarks, Scrivener never destroyed over a decade of carefully written Description fields because, in an update one day, Mozilla decide nobody really needs to describe their bookmarks anyway! :evil:

At any rate, use your Scrivener menu to check for updates; 3.1.4 is now live.
Ioa Petra'ka

Ma
MaxG

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:51 am Post

AmberV wrote:You think like I do!

:lol:

AmberV wrote:I still bookmark things in the browser as well, if I think they’ll be generally useful, but (...) for many things where large quantities of very specific bookmarks are needed, keeping them in the main notebook project is better.

Exactly!

AmberV wrote:It allows for a more descriptive way of working with them, particularly if you use one card per reference. That’s not always necessary, but if I have tons of them and need a lot of metadata and organisation tools (like the freeform corkboard) to manage them, it’s better than a huge text file.

I developed a method: everything on my computer (and in my life for that matter) is divided into seven areas:
1. Personal development
2. Health
3. Relations
4. Work
5. Living (house, mobility)
6. Assets
7. Recreation

My bookmarks, emails, files, projects etc. are all categorized accordingly. And each has it's own subdivisions (and subsubs). For example, my business has three subdivisions: Organisation & Management, Products & Services and Marketing & Sales.

By chunking life into seven areas and chunking each area again, life becomes less cluttered. So, seven folders with subdivisions, filled with bookmarks...

AmberV wrote:And unlike browser bookmarks, Scrivener never destroyed over a decade of carefully written Description fields because, in an update one day, Mozilla decide nobody really needs to describe their bookmarks anyway! :evil:

That sure is hell...

One final note: I use Firefox as my main browser. It's easy to export the bookmarks as xml file and import that file into a Scrivener file. There, you can select all bookmarks (⌘ A) and simply drag everything into a text file. Now you have all the titles of the webpages, with the links inside. And of course all possibilities to edit and annotate them however you like. And with update 3.1.4 of Scrivener an even better way to search/find them. Very pleased!

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:47 am Post

Interesting tips in this thread. Thanks!