Is Scrivener Actually Worth It?

th
thetechguy1

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am Post

I have noticed that Scrivener is a commonly used software in the writing community. I am just coming back to creative writing after a few years of of primarily doing academic writing. I mainly write for myself. I recently started brainstorming a novel. I am even considering self publishing the novel if it turns out well. I think that the software would be a beneficial tool to use on my current and future projects. I just do not know if it is worth the cost. I am also visually impaired, so I use screen reader softwares to manipulate my iPhone and laptop. I do not want to waste money on a software that might not even be compatible with my screen reader. Are there any free options that I should look into? I currently use Microsoft Word for my writing, but I am interested in testing out other computer programs. Thanks to anyone who responds.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:08 pm Post

The best advice anyone can give you is to download the demo! You’ll get 30 days of actual use, so spread it out as you need to. Using that you should be able to get a good feel for how accessible the software is. I do believe there are some rough spots with VoiceOver at the moment; Apple switched up how accessibility works, and getting that fine tuned to work better with the new system is something we need to look in to (if you’re using an older OS, like 12 or 13, you should be okay). Prior to that point we’ve had an excellent track record on the matter and do pay attention to making sure buttons are labelled well, and all areas of the software are accessible to navigation commands. It’s how it works right now that matters though, of course.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

di
disputes123

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:11 pm Post

I have noticed that Scrivener is a commonly used software in the writing community. I am just coming back to creative writing after a few years of of primarily doing academic writing. I mainly write for myself. I recently started brainstorming a novel. I am even considering self publishing the novel if it turns out well. I think that the software would be a beneficial tool to use on my current and future projects. I just do not know if it is worth the cost. I am also visually impaired, so I use screen reader softwares to manipulate my iPhone and laptop. I do not want to waste money on a software that might not even be compatible with my screen reader. Are there any free options that I should look into? I currently use Microsoft Word for my writing, but I am interested in testing out other computer programs. Thanks to anyone who responds.
(I am sorry about this post being a little rambly. It is currently almost 2 in the morning.)

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:16 pm Post

Scrivener offers a 30 day free trial (that's 30 days' actual use, rather than 30 consecutive days). Most, if not all, people here will tell you that Scrivener is most certainly worth the investment. The best thing to do is download the software and start using it to see whether it fits your needs. Happy writing!

xiamenese

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:25 pm Post

Also, I'm sure it would help if you told us which screen reader software you use. There are a number of visually impaired Scrivener users, so it does work with screen readers.

Not being visually impaired myself, I can't help further with that. However, the only person who can decide if it is worth it is you yourself, so install it, go through the tutorial listed under the Help menu, and make full use of the 30 day trial.

Good luck

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Claudia

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:26 pm Post

it's totally worth it. and not very expensive to begin with...

kewms

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:43 pm Post

I believe there are a few forum members who use screenreaders. You might try starting a new thread called "Scrivener and screen readers?" or something like that to get their attention.

Otherwise, as noted, the best way to decide if Scrivener will meet your needs is to download the free trial.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:52 pm Post

You can test it for 30 days for free. And that is 30 days of actual use.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:52 pm Post

I have noticed that this is a commonly used post in the spamming community, and other subhuman forms of depravity. I am just going through and moderating, after a few years of primarily posting. I mainly moderate for myself. I recently started writing a post. I’m even considering handing out leaflets that I made at the printers of my posts, if they turn out well. I think that forums would be a beneficial way to work on my past and future moderation. I just don’t know if it is worth the clicks. I currently use Facebook for my posting, but I’m interesting in testing out other forums. Thanks to anyone who responds.

essays cheap write fast louder coursework

But P.S. Thanks to all the wonderful forum members who enjoy helping people. Even if it's going to robots in this case, someone may search and find these tips. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:24 am Post

The best advice anyone can give you is to moderate! You’ll get 30 days of actual moderation, so spread it out as moderately as you need to. Also work through the interactive forum on tutorials forum. There are many forum readers here so it works.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:05 pm Post

I’ve long been considering becoming a more active participant in the spamming community, but have been put off by my lack of experience and confidence. If I’d known there were templates available to help reduce barriers to entry for newbs such as myself, I’d have made the leap earlier.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image