Infinite TRIAL mode

pi
picypoe
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:01 am Post

Does anyone know if Scrivener will ever have a huge watermark on saved files while writing on trial mode? Or maybe a reduced time?

A feature, exploit or a bug, but just wanted to say that under the latest Majove 10.14.6 VM as a guest, the trial drops every time I launch it.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:26 pm Post

picypoe wrote:Does anyone know if Scrivener will ever have a huge watermark on saved files while writing on trial mode? Or maybe a reduced time?
Trial and licensed versions are the same software. There is no functional difference between them. You will have access to the trial for 30 days of usage, after which it stops working.

Please note that 'usage' means *actual* usage. So if you download the trial and use it during one day, and then don't use it again for a couple of months, when you launch it again 60 days later, you'll still have 29 days left of your trial,

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

pi
picypoe

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:23 am Post

After e.g. 1 day of usage, it does drop to 29 days. Although, after VM rr, it goes back to 30 days. 10.14.6, allows the trial to always start at 30 days. As the result, it runs for infinite amount of days.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:19 pm Post

Moved to Mac support forum. -- Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:35 pm Post

I don't know what a "VM rr" is, but if that has something to do with a virtual machine being reset to a snapshot or something---of course, there will always be loopholes, especially when you wholly redefine the context that software runs within. Likewise if you used Time Machine to reset your Mac to 2017 every time the demo expired, you'd be able to use it forever.

In such cases, these approaches are either so technically beyond what most people encounter, or such a hassle that if someone is really willing to use a virtual machine to write, just to avoid spending a few bucks, I guess more power to them.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:10 pm Post

picypoe wrote:Does anyone know if Scrivener will ever have a huge watermark on saved files while writing on trial mode? Or maybe a reduced time?

A feature, exploit or a bug, but just wanted to say that under the latest Majove 10.14.6 VM as a guest, the trial drops every time I launch it.

Picypoe, are wondering if it is safe to start working on your novel in a copy of Scrivener you never want to pay for?? Or what?
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:29 pm Post

IIRC, Mac "guest" accounts have extremely limited privileges. If free Scrivener were my only reason for using one, I suspect I would hate the experience enough to pay for Scrivener in order to make it stop well before the trial would have run out.

But no, there are no watermarks, time delays, or other "incentives" in the trial version. We think the quality of the program should be motivation enough.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

As
Astaff

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:00 pm Post

Yes, there are a number of ways to defeat trial periods, all unethical IMHO.

People deserve to be paid for their amazing work and they gotta eat. Apart from that Scrivener is so reasonably priced.

Another company would have you paying for it every 12 months, Adobe would have you paying for it every month!

pi
picypoe

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 am Post

AmberV wrote:I don't know what a "VM rr" is, but if that has something to do with a virtual machine being reset to a snapshot or something---of course, there will always be loopholes, especially when you wholly redefine the context that software runs within. Likewise if you used Time Machine to reset your Mac to 2017 every time the demo expired, you'd be able to use it forever.

In such cases, these approaches are either so technically beyond what most people encounter, or such a hassle that if someone is really willing to use a virtual machine to write, just to avoid spending a few bucks, I guess more power to them.

Trial works fine under 10.13, 10.12 or any patches on 10.14 with an exception only to the latest `.6` .

I've discovered it purely by chance. In my experience, there was no need to go to that extent. Though, just so that people googling it, wouldn't abuse it - when I have more time, I will try sending you guys an email with more details.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 pm Post

I’ve discovered it purely by chance. In my experience, there was no need to go to that extent. Though, just so that people googling it, wouldn’t abuse it - when I have more time, I will try sending you guys an email with more details.

Yeah, that would be greatly appreciated; if this is something you can reproduce with a stock machine using normal methods of usage, let us know how to reproduce it through our support email. I’m using 10.14.6, so I should be able to follow along.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles