"embedding" files written with Scrivener into DevonThink

Hanami
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:23 am Post

Hi!
Is it possible to import what I wrote inside Scrivener into DevonThink, so that any changes I do after in Scrivener are reflected in DT as well? It would be a kind of "embedding", how it was called in Windows some time ago.

*I am aware of exporting into "files" from Scrivener, and then importing those files into DT, but that is not what I mean, because this is static: Changes after the import are not reflected in DT any more.*

TIA
Oliver

br
brookter

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:05 am Post

Do you want to work on the documents in Devonthink or not?

If you just want to keep the project in Devonthink so you can search its contents, then just INDEX (not import) the project.

But if you do want to work on the documents within the project, then you can try the External Folder Sync option (on the File > Sync menu). This will export any changes to your project to a folder in the finder, taking a snapshot of the files as it does. You can then Index (definitely not Import) that folder into Devonthink and work on them and/or add new documents. The contents in DT will always be up to date with the last time you synced (which can be set up to be automatic on opening/closing the project).

When you open the project again in Scrivener and it will import the documents (including the new ones) back into the project, again taking a snapshot. It's a brilliant feature and rock solid as long as you follow basic precautions.

The basic process is (and do it in this order):

1. Set up the External Folder Sync in Scrivener, making sure you choose an empty folder to sync to.
2. Carry out the first sync and close Scrivener.
3. In DT, INDEX the sync folder and work on the documents.
4. Open Scrivener, let it sync automatically, check the collection 'synced documents' to make sure everything's fine.

Once you've done this a couple of time and are happy everything's ok, then you can use the File > Sync > Sync Now feature (which cuts out the dialogue box).

Please note, there are a *lot* of options: you really should read the manual section on external syncing first, and I would definitely test it on a dummy project. But once you've got the hang of it, External Syncing is fantastic.

HTH

Hanami

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:34 am Post

That was not only exact what I wanted to do, this is a great explanation as well! :!:
Thank you very much.
Oliver

br
brookter

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm Post

You're welcome!