Is there any keyboard shortcut that prevents clicking in the binder affecting the editor? (Plus another question).

En
EndlessLoop
Platform: Mac

Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 am Post

[Using v3].

Or splits if you're working with them.

In my current project, I quite often want to open a doc as a Quick Reference, but I don't want it to load it into the split when I right click in the binder. Effectively, I'm looking for a way to temporarily set it to Binder Selection Affects > None without having to choose that in the menu.

Sorry if it's there in the manual and I haven't found it.

The other question is that I'm sure I did something once that dragged one document from the binder into an editor with a document already loaded and it appended the text of the dragged document. Am I imagining it? I can't seem to do it again. EDIT: Think I've found this one -- start to drag on the doc, press Opt-Cmd and then let go of the trackpad button [or I assume mouse button as well if you're using one]. That will append the text rather than dragging a link in.

Thanks in advance.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:28 am Post

Yes. Using Apple > System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, you can assign a shortcut to that menu item in Scrivener just as you please.

gr

p.s. You can also lock the editor, but if you have a split editor going, that wouldn't be too handy a way.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

En
EndlessLoop

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:38 am Post

Yup -- that's a fallback option -- was more wondering if there was a way to do it with some sort of opt/cmd/ctr/shift combo that would be a transitory override rather than a turn-on-then-turn-off manoeuvre.

Might suggest it for the wish list.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:18 am Post

You want a ready way to get a Binder item to open as Quick Reference without the Editor being effected.

Here is a recent forum discussion that revolved around the same point. (Note the OP wished the above too, but cast their wish in terms of their own imagined implementation.)

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57154

gr

P.S. As for implementation, I think a simple and sensible wish might be to be able to control click on a binder item and pick Open as Quick Reference and have this not effect the editor.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

En
EndlessLoop

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:51 am Post

Thanks for the info! Food for thought!