Does Scrivener3 support iCloud?

Wr
WrittenInAVacuum
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:42 pm
Platform: Mac

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:46 pm Post

Been a while since I checked the site and came back and noticed there was a new version (I have version 2).

As I recall there were some technical reasons with the file format being a folder that iCloud wasn't able to support at the time. Has that been resolved with Scrivener 3?

If not, would an uncompressed Zip file format resolve the issue and be easy to implement (I imagine no on the latter)

EDIT: I have the same question about Google Drive. Also, I found an official looking post about related services, but it was from 2009! (A decade old!)

User avatar
bwintx
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:48 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Plano, Texas, U.S.A.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:34 pm Post

Assuming you mean for sync between Mac and iOS, nothing has changed. Dropbox is still the only supported way.
Using Macs since 1984, MS-DOS/Windows since 1985, Linux since 2000-something, iOS and Android since 2011, ChromeOS since 2016, Scrivener since 2017. Admitted Apple fanboy. https://brycewray.com

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:57 pm Post

But you can save your zipped backups where ever you want.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

User avatar
auxbuss
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:50 pm
Platform: Mac
Contact:

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:07 pm Post

For macOS-only use – perhaps with multiple machines – you can use iCloud Drive. I do this every day without any issues.

For use with the iOS version of Scrivener, I believe Dropbox is still the only option.
Image

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4068
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:32 pm Post

The only problem with iCloud, in comparison with Dropbox (or Sync) is the lack of menubar signal re whether everything is uploaded/downloaded or not, so you have to be extra careful. Also, allowing iCloud to manage your Desktop and Documents folders is a shortcut to disaster! But with care it's usable, I believe, but I use Dropbox and Sync for active projects, keeping my zipped backups on iCloud.

Google Drive is a much more serious problem, I believe.

:)

Mark

Edited once for typos!
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

User avatar
bwintx
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:48 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Plano, Texas, U.S.A.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:18 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:Also, allowing iCloud to manage your Desktop and Documents folders is a shortcut to disaster! But with care it's usable, I believe, but I use Dropbox and Sync for active projects, keeping my zipped backups on iCloud.


I think iCloud is OK for Desktop and Document folders as long as you turn off Maximize Mac Storage. That feature, if activated, will try to save local storage space by keeping some things in cloud storage when they're not accessed all that often. That doesn't work well even for "shoebox" apps like Ulysses, and definitely isn't a good idea for a hybrid app like Scrivener.
Using Macs since 1984, MS-DOS/Windows since 1985, Linux since 2000-something, iOS and Android since 2011, ChromeOS since 2016, Scrivener since 2017. Admitted Apple fanboy. https://brycewray.com

Wr
WrittenInAVacuum
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:42 pm
Platform: Mac

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:04 pm Post

I just meant for MacOS only. Like between laptops. So iCloud and Google Drive work on MacOS version?

User avatar
bwintx
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:48 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Plano, Texas, U.S.A.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:10 pm Post

WrittenInAVacuum wrote:I just meant for MacOS only. So iCloud and Google Drive work on MacOS version?

Re Google Drive: https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... e-advisory
Re other cloud sync services, including iCloud: https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... c-services
Using Macs since 1984, MS-DOS/Windows since 1985, Linux since 2000-something, iOS and Android since 2011, ChromeOS since 2016, Scrivener since 2017. Admitted Apple fanboy. https://brycewray.com

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4068
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:47 am Post

bwintx wrote:
xiamenese wrote:Also, allowing iCloud to manage your Desktop and Documents folders is a shortcut to disaster! But with care it's usable, I believe, but I use Dropbox and Sync for active projects, keeping my zipped backups on iCloud.


I think iCloud is OK for Desktop and Document folders as long as you turn off Maximize Mac Storage. That feature, if activated, will try to save local storage space by keeping some things in cloud storage when they're not accessed all that often. That doesn't work well even for "shoebox" apps like Ulysses, and definitely isn't a good idea for a hybrid app like Scrivener.

Maximising Mac Storage was what I meant was a shortcut to disaster on iCloud, but even with that turned off I don’t use it between my laptops because I can’t check at a glance whether the changes to the project(s) have finished uploading/downloading before I shut down or open the project when I change machines.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

User avatar
auxbuss
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:50 pm
Platform: Mac
Contact:

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:16 am Post

xiamenese wrote:Maximising Mac Storage was what I meant was a shortcut to disaster on iCloud, but even with that turned off I don’t use it between my laptops because I can’t check at a glance whether the changes to the project(s) have finished uploading/downloading before I shut down or open the project when I change machines.

The indicators have improved on macOS in Finder. A completion indicator appears in the iCloud Drive sidebar item and affected folders. (It would be nice to have a menu bar icon, for sure.)

I'm not going to die defending this hill, but I really do use iCloud all the time and haven't had any issues. I sync many apps via iCloud Drive. (Whisper it, but I also sync my Scrivener/Application Support folder, too :shock: )
Image

User avatar
bwintx
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:48 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Plano, Texas, U.S.A.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:11 pm Post

auxbuss wrote:
xiamenese wrote:Maximising Mac Storage was what I meant was a shortcut to disaster on iCloud, but even with that turned off I don’t use it between my laptops because I can’t check at a glance whether the changes to the project(s) have finished uploading/downloading before I shut down or open the project when I change machines.

The indicators have improved on macOS in Finder. A completion indicator appears in the iCloud Drive sidebar item and affected folders. (It would be nice to have a menu bar icon, for sure.)

I'm not going to die defending this hill, but I really do use iCloud all the time and haven't had any issues. I sync many apps via iCloud Drive. (Whisper it, but I also sync my Scrivener/Application Support folder, too :shock: )


I use Scriv only on one Mac but have found iCloud Drive perfectly fine for all my Scriv files—again, with Maximize Mac Storage safely turned off.
Using Macs since 1984, MS-DOS/Windows since 1985, Linux since 2000-something, iOS and Android since 2011, ChromeOS since 2016, Scrivener since 2017. Admitted Apple fanboy. https://brycewray.com