Open but unchanged projects marked as modified in v3

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 am Post

As I understand it, Reepicheep's projects are never closed nor opened; they are just left open on Mac all the time. Therefore, his argument is that they should never be marked changed unless he actually makes a change. Accordingly, the fact that they are nonetheless marked changed (even though he hasn't touched them) is a bug. Do I understand you correctly, Reepicheep?
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.3, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5; iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12.4.1; iPad 6th gen, iOS 12.4.1

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:13 pm Post

Well, if that's the case, my recommendation would be "don't do that." Leaving projects open all the time is a bad idea in general, and a terrible idea if those projects are also being edited from another device.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

re
reepicheep

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 pm Post

Silverdragon wrote:As I understand it, Reepicheep's projects are never closed nor opened; they are just left open on Mac all the time. Therefore, his argument is that they should never be marked changed unless he actually makes a change. Accordingly, the fact that they are nonetheless marked changed (even though he hasn't touched them) is a bug. Do I understand you correctly, Reepicheep?
Yes.
Techie details in case I forget

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

re
reepicheep

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 pm Post

kewms wrote:Well, if that's the case, my recommendation would be "don't do that." Leaving projects open all the time is a bad idea in general, and a terrible idea if those projects are also being edited from another device.

Katherine
It that case there is no point to having Scrivener for iOS.
Techie details in case I forget

Scrivener 3.1.3 (11945)
Mac OS X 10.13.6
Scrivener 1.1.5 (1301)
iOS 9.3.5/12.3.1

lunk

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:58 pm Post

reepicheep wrote:
kewms wrote:Leaving projects open all the time is a bad idea in general, and a terrible idea if those projects are also being edited from another device.

That was really strange logic.
I use iOS Scrivener quite a lot, and Mac Scrivener even more, but I never leave my projects open on any of my Mac:s, and always back out to the project screen and sync before leaving my iPad.

In what way does keeping projects open all the time on a Mac have anything to do with the reason for iOS Scrivener to exist? :shock:
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:47 am Post

reepicheep wrote:
kewms wrote:Well, if that's the case, my recommendation would be "don't do that." Leaving projects open all the time is a bad idea in general, and a terrible idea if those projects are also being edited from another device.

"I'm doing the thing that L&L has all along told us not to do because it will cause problems, but this means the program shouldn't exist."

I know that changing one's process is painful and difficult, but seriously, point me to any non-trivial application that synchronizes discrete files using third-party sync engines (that is, not custom sync logic or database replication) that allows you to keep files open on one or more of the synchronizing systems 100% of the time without causing issues along the way.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

kewms

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:07 pm Post

To be precise, if you -- accidentally or deliberately -- find that the Mac project was open while changes were made to the iOS project, then you MUST explicitly incorporate those changes via the File -> Sync -> With Mobile Devices command. That command ensures that the files loaded into local memory -- which are under Scrivener's control -- match the files on the hard disk, which may have been changed by Dropbox.

If you don't do this every single time, you are very likely to encounter synchronization conflicts, and there's a better than 50-50 chance that you'll lose work.

I don't know about you, but I'm not that good. It's easier to just shut Mac Scrivener down when I'm not using it.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

kewms

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:31 pm Post

Oh, and to the original question...

iOS Scrivener puts its changes in a special "Mobile" folder within the project. Mac (or Windows) Scrivener then reviews those changes for potential sync conflicts, then incorporates the changed files into the main project structure.

So, if changes are made to the project via iOS Scrivener, and the project is opened and then closed on the Mac, that incorporation step will occur and the Mac version of the project will change as a result.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team