Scrivener not working on macOS 10.15 Catalina beta.

Br
Brammy
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:04 pm Post

rdale wrote:I'll also chime in, as a mere observer to both Mac app development and using beta Mac OS releases... I've seen it stated several times in the past years that early Mac OS betas have bugs that break existing software, but after some releases, those bugs are often fixed by Apple. Experienced developers like Keith tend to wait for Mac OS betas to stabilize before trying to fix it in their own apps.

Yah. The beta 1 is usually locked in early May, so beta 2 has more fixes.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:35 pm Post

Discouraging people from using the beta for important work was exactly my goal. I'm glad to hear I succeeded.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

sp
spiritualquest

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:40 pm Post

I am actually grateful for the information. I was looking at upgrading to the beta, but I decided not to until Scrivener works because I rely on it for classwork. I made the mistake last time upgrading to Mojave and having to wait till major third party programs work. It was stressing. Please keep this post going so that I know when Scrivener works.

de
derick

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:54 pm Post

Please keep this post going so that I know when Scrivener works.

I'd also recommend you check https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ca ... g.2183923/

kewms

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:06 pm Post

spiritualquest wrote:I am actually grateful for the information. I was looking at upgrading to the beta, but I decided not to until Scrivener works because I rely on it for classwork. I made the mistake last time upgrading to Mojave and having to wait till major third party programs work. It was stressing. Please keep this post going so that I know when Scrivener works.

As noted above, we will be holding off on any Catalina compatibility fixes until relatively close to the release date.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

TromboneAl

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:39 pm Post

I wonder whether a response like this would be beneficial to everyone.

We really appreciate the heads-up regarding a problem that might be coming up in the future. Thanks! A post like yours is also valuable to the daredevils who might be using Scrivener in this beta test environment [scared emoji here].

We'll be keeping an eye on this, and if the problem remains as Apple gets closer to release, we will take care of it.

Now is also a good time to repeat our warning that using Scrivener for anything real while using a beta version of the Mac software is like that knife game where you stab between your fingers really fast. Don't do it!
Al Macy
Scrivener Version 3.1.2
iMac 21.5 Version 10.14.4

Br
Brammy
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:48 pm Post

A note for fellow thrill seekers.

The beta 2 released today clears the issue I was having. I now can see the text inside the UI elements. Binder and contents look ok.

As always, I still wouldn't install it on a main system.

sp
spiritualquest

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:36 am Post

Keep us updated with the use of the Betas. Does it get better? Are there any problems?

ma
marcoiac

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:38 am Post

spiritualquest wrote:Keep us updated with the use of the Betas. Does it get better? Are there any problems?

While I haven't read all this thread, its title speaks loud and clear. I have been running Catalina since the release of its first public beta (we are now at release no.3) and had zero problems with Scrivener on all my MacOS machines: iMac 27" 5K, MBP 13", MB 12".

Hope this helps