tabs and indents

ri
risibilis
Platform: Mac

Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 pm Post

Hi,

Is it possible to change the tab and indent settings in a project in which I've already written 20,000 words?

My problem is that I'm using UK stage format and I thought I'd set the format to how I wanted it to be.

Example:

Character 1 Dialogue
Character 2 Dialogue

and so on.

That's all fine but any dialogue that continues into a new line is starting under the character's name and not continuing in the dialogue indent.

My question is can I change the settings (and how?) and is it possible to do this so it changes the whole project script that's already written?
I hope I've explained this okay and I'm crossing my fingers for any optimistic replies.

Thanks,
martin.

Jo
JoRo

Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 am Post

Hi, martin.

You can create or modify script settings and apply them retrospectively, so long as you haven't overridden the formatting in the editor itself.

Might be best to duplicate the project and do a few tests to get the formatting and look you want.

Details in the PDF attached. It's a powerful set of tools.

Slàinte mhòr.

Script Settings.pdf
(240.4 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

ri
risibilis

Tue May 07, 2019 10:18 am Post

Hello - and thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

I'll study the link you've given me and see what I can do with changing settings.

I'll certainly make a duplicate to try that out on.

Once again you've thrown me a metaphorical life line which I much appreciate. I'll let you know how I get on.

best,
martin.

Jo
JoRo

Tue May 07, 2019 12:56 pm Post

Welcome. Probably just the left indent that needs adjusting, but you might want or need to make other tweaks as well.

Can get more tricky if a user has already filled their manuscript with additional tabs and multiple spaces, but anything is fixable with time and trial.

Good luck with the work.

Slàinte mhòr.

ri
risibilis

Wed May 08, 2019 4:37 pm Post

Hi,

Well, I fiddled around and finally created a new UK stage play project and chose the format settings I wanted. This has worked okay so now I'm writing successfully in that.

The format settings are successful and now it only remains that my writing content is too!

Thanks again for all your help :)

best,
martin.

Jo
JoRo

Thu May 09, 2019 7:49 am Post

Great news.

Good luck with the script.

Slàinte mhòr.

ri
risibilis

Thu May 09, 2019 2:38 pm Post

Thanks very much. I'll need it!

Getting a play produced is more difficult than a book. Having worked as an actor for many years I do have some useful contacts. And contacts are more valuable than most requirements in the arts world.

best,
m.