Difficulty putting backup file where I want it

Mi
Mikethebook
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:59 pm Post

I recently changed the name of a project by using Save As . . . and effectively creating another project with the revised name. I wanted the backups to be kept in a different folder and went to Preferences - Backup and chose the new folder. But when I close the renamed project it backs up with the new name but to the old backup folder. Am I missing something basic here?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:26 pm Post

Yeah, all projects will use the same central backup folder by default; this way you always know where to go, no matter what you were working on. But for those cases where a particular project does need its own place to store backups, use the Project ▸ Project Settings... menu command, and click on the Backup pane in that dialogue.

Generally speaking, I prefer to use the File ▸ Back Up ▸ Back Up To... menu command rather than Save As (in fact I even override the keyboard shortcut). It kind of works the same, only you keep you working in the same original project and the copy can be automatically zipped and timestamped.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Mi
Mikethebook
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:10 am Post

Thanks very much. Just what I needed. I have all my projects backed up to the same folder but with four projects on the go and 25 backups for each, I prefer to have each in a separate sub-folder.