Ignoring the time zone change in custom metadata = reverting to today's date

User avatar
Silverdragon
Posts: 1765
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:52 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Tarzana, California, USA
Contact:

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 pm Post

You're welcome!

For anyone who's curious, I worked out a method to make the plain text dates sortable.

  • First, in Aeon preferences, I chose Preferred Date Format : Sortable. I then synced my project.
  • Back in Scriv, I found that the only thing preventing my dates from sorting was the day of the week in the front of the date string.
  • I ran a Project Replace affecting custom metadata only, using regular expressions which I include below. Now my dates sort in Scriv, and Aeon is perfectly happy with them!

Search for:

Code: Select all

^(Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun) (.*)$

Replace with:

Code: Select all

$2 $1

screenshot 2019-04-22 09.38.43.png
screenshot 2019-04-22 09.38.43.png (118.06 KiB) Viewed 467 times
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her silicon hoard
  • Mac Scrivener 3.2.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • iOS Scrivener 1.2.1, iPad 6, iPhone 12 pro, i(Pad)OS 14.4
  • Website: https://silverdrag0n.wordpress.com

En
EndlessLoop
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 5:02 am
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:50 pm Post

se1961 wrote:@Endlessloop for including your timezone information, because that allowed me to do a little more digging. I look forward to a fix!


No probs -- it took a while to notice it, but it became obvious it was something to do with the problem.

Silverdragon's workaround is great while we're waiting for the update to hopefully get it working as it should.

so
socalvillaguy
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:00 am
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:07 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:I find that the only way currently to get this working is to force Scrivener to use plain text fields instead of date-type fields. What I did:

  • In Aeon, with my project's sync panel open, I clicked the gear icon in the upper right corner to open the project sync settings.
  • I set both Start Date and End Date to None. While the Aeon events still contained the dates, this stopped Aeon from writing them to my Scrivener metadata temporarily.
  • I closed the project's sync panel in Aeon, and opened the project in Scrivener.
  • Then I opened Project > Project Settings… > Custom Metadata. I deleted the old Start and End fields.
  • I added new Start and End fields with slightly different names and made sure that they were plain text, single line. (See screenshot.)
  • Finally I closed the project in Scrivener, opened it again for sync in Aeon, and connected the new text metadata fields to Start Date and End Date in Aeon.

After syncing, the metadata fields in Scrivener had the correct date and time. Of course since they're just text they won't sort correctly in Scriv, but for me that's a small price to pay. :D Maybe after KB distributes the fix he mentioned earlier in this thread I'll switch back to proper date/time fields, but then again, maybe not. Plain text seems to Just Work.
screenshot 2019-04-21 12.54.06.png


Thanks for the suggestion. My problem was the time was being shifted by7 hours earlier than Aeon claimed it was going to transfer. I checked Scrivener to see if there was a setting I had to force to not adjust for timezones (unlike Aeon, which made no difference whether I changed it or not). Interestingly, making it a plain text field corrected the shift. This tells me Scrivener is DEFINITELY the culprit, but I have no idea how or why. At least I have the right time info in the metadata now.

so
socalvillaguy
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:00 am
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:29 pm Post

se1961 wrote:Hi! I believe I am having a related problem, but I can't quite pin it down. I have always been able to successfully sync Scrivener and Aeon files. On my current project, all of my Aeon events are showing up in Scrivener with the custom metadata field set for four hours earlier. I am writing and syncing in the same timezone (EST) as I always have. "Ignore timezone changes" is ticked. I'm baffled, and a little stuck. I'm using Scrivener 3.1.2 and Aeon 2.3.16. Any help would be somewhat urgently appreciated, as I am unable to use the sync feature at all at the moment. ☹️


I had the exact same problem, but mine was 7 hours... of course, I'm in Phoenix, so its UTC-7 hours here. Since Silverdragon's suggestion to change time fields to plain text worked (and Aeon showed the proper time being transferred), then it leads me to believe that Scrivener is forcing all times to UTC. I couldn't find any setting in the application to change that, so I'm leaving them as plain text. I only need them for reference anyway.

Cheers!

User avatar
Silverdragon
Posts: 1765
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:52 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Tarzana, California, USA
Contact:

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:45 pm Post

I'm glad to hear that my workaround is helping so many! "You're welcome!" to all.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her silicon hoard
  • Mac Scrivener 3.2.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • iOS Scrivener 1.2.1, iPad 6, iPhone 12 pro, i(Pad)OS 14.4
  • Website: https://silverdrag0n.wordpress.com