Mojave / Scrivener 3.1 crash on startup

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:04 am Post

You can always switch temporarily and not worry about settings - just download the version from our site, use it with your projects for a few days, and then delete that version when the App Store version is available and re-download from the App Store.

As for the App Store, it's been an utter fiasco, I'm afraid. As you know, I submitted 3.1.1 to them over a week ago now - last Thursday evening. I requested a so-called "expedited" review since it was a critical bug fix and was granted one. Despite that, it sat "In Review" for days. On Tuesday I emailed Apple to find out what was going on. On Wednesday someone replied to tell me that it seemed to be down to a bug in their system, and that I should pull the 3.1.1 build I had uploaded, re-upload and re-submit to workaround their system bug. They said that once I had done so, they would make sure it was expedited. I duly did so late on Wednesday night. Yesterday (Thursday), it went back into review. A day later, it's still sitting "in review" again.

To say I'm disillusioned with the App Store would be an understatement right now...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

cd
cdrew

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 am Post

Thanks for the detailed response! To be honest, L&L carries such a good reputation with me that I thought the issue is with the App Store review process. I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you, too.

What I don't understand about switching to the download version is what changes and what I lose. Sounds like my file settings don't automatically port over? Which settings? That all sounds pretty involved, so I drag my feet. And you mention I can switch back (wow!) but that also sounds somewhat involved - and wouldn't my settings still be messed up?

If there are short answers to any of those questions, I'm open to considering a switch. But, if as I suspect, the answers are long and detailed I prefer to give this another week. The time I'd lose working through custom settings (if that's accurate) can be better spent on another part of the project.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:25 pm Post

It's really just your Preferences that wouldn't come along with the version from our site, simply because the App Store has a segregated area for all settings. So here is all the process would involve:

1. Download the version from our site and drag it to the Applications folder. It will be called simply "Scrivener" whereas the MAS version is called "Scrivener 3", so you can keep both there and not even overwrite the MS version.

2. For the time being, use the version from our site. You just load your files and carry on working. Any colour preferences you set up won't be used, but don't worry about that for now.

3. When 3.1.1 is available on the App Store (or 4.1.1 given how slow the review is going ;) ), simple delete the version of Scrivener you downloaded from our site - move it to the Trash. This won't affect your projects. Then just carry on updating the MAS version as normal.

Thanks for your understanding.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

cd
cdrew

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:32 pm Post

Keith,

Thanks for easy instructions - I can certainly handle that, AND if I can get back to writing I'll get off the Internet and Black Friday (BF week at this point) tech sales!!

:D the 4.1.1 joke!

oc
ocab

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:35 pm Post

Keith,
thanks a lot also from my part.
just posted my prob in your old "Crashers for Copies" -Thread, ( Re: Scrivener 3.1 Crashes on Start. (OS X 10.14) ) got redirected here. Workaround solved it.

Thanks for the quick help, and for the many years that I've been enjoying my favorite software.

All the best,
Oliver

PD:
And, uhm, someone please invent a proper insult for the App-Store.
I still haven't been able to come up with one nasty enough.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:02 pm Post

Thanks, Oliver, and for the understanding. And as another day passes with 3.1.1 not getting through review, I'm thinking of inventing some new insults for the Store too. :(

cd
cdrew

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:34 am Post

It wont make you feel any better, but I noticed today that I’m not getting any Mac app store updates. Perhaps everything is stuck in the que? :lol:

Jo
JoRo

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 am Post

The irony...

App Store.jpg
App Store.jpg (323.98 KiB) Viewed 3029 times

Slàinte mhòr.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:55 pm Post

Well, at least it seems they aren't dragging their feet because they hate us. :)

Jo
JoRo

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:24 am Post

KB wrote:Well, at least it seems they aren't dragging their feet because they hate us. :)

Nay, not at all.

Have been loved.

Are.

Will be.

Slàinte mhòr.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:05 am Post

And finally, after nearly three weeks, 3.1.1 is available on the App Store!

da
dafu

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:47 am Post

KB wrote:And finally, after nearly three weeks, 3.1.1 is available on the App Store!

Ah ha! So that's what's going on! My app has sat "In Review" for 10 days. Today, I requested an expedite and received a note saying roughly, "Your app is in review . . . we'll get to it . . . " That's two weeks since initial submission.

Aaargggh!

Dave

P.S. Congrats on making it through the gauntlet. :)

KB
Site Admin

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:00 pm Post

So it's not just me who's been waiting an age, then? Something must have gone wrong with their systems recently...