Novel Format Word Count

Ji
JimK
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:24 pm Post

Hi,

I'm using the Novel Format template. When I try and find the overall word count (project / statistics) it only shows the current document count. Is there a way to show overall count? Thanks.

Jo
JoRo
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:52 am Post

Are all the documents included for compile? If they aren't, they won't be counted.

Included in Compile.jpg
Included in Compile.jpg (323.6 KiB) Viewed 810 times

You could load the draft / manuscript in scrivenings (CMD 1) and view the total count in the Editor's footer.

Editor Count.jpg
Editor Count.jpg (242.84 KiB) Viewed 801 times

Slàinte mhòr.

Ji
JimK
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:57 pm Post

HI - so they are all included in compile but not all getting counted. Scrivenings works though so that's good. Any suggestions why project stats doesn't? I can supply the file if needed.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:03 pm Post

It is good to check your Compile settings as well, particularly on the right side where the contents list is shown. There are some compile settings that can produce unexpected results—for example if you use the dropdown at the top of the list and set it to “Current Selection”, and then in the Statistics panel’s “Options” tab, enable Count current compile group only. With that combination of settings you would get exactly what you describe: only the document(s) you have selected will be counted.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles