Make Scrivener interpret research files as text

RonJeffries
Platform: Mac

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:34 pm Post

I dragged some YAML and course files into research for a thing I'm writing. Scrivener has decided it doesn't understand them.

How can I tell it that these files are just text and to show them as such?

Thanks!

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:00 pm Post

If it’s all just text, can’t you open those files in e.g. TextEdit, select all, copy, make a new empty Research document and paste it?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

RonJeffries

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:05 pm Post

I can, and I did. However, Scrivener conveniently offers the ability to drag things into the folder, and then is like "Huh?" when they're in there. If there's a way to drag in a batch and then tag them, it would save a lot of copy/paste.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:09 pm Post

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if you mean that you dragged YAML files into Scrivener and they are not editable but just shown in a Quick Look preview in the editor when you want them imported as text, then you just need to go to Scrivener's "Import" Preferences (under "Sharing") and add "yaml" to the list of plain text import formats, then re-import.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

RonJeffries

Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:13 pm Post

Thanks, boss, that'll do it. What I had hoped for was a way to click the binder item post-hoc and say "hey wait this is just text". The other ways, preplanning or copy-paste will work.

Thanks,