Scrivener 3 compile: Line spacing, first paragraph indent, and scene separators

ajm80031
Platform: Mac

Sat May 26, 2018 10:31 pm Post

I hate to ask such basic questions but have a few compile customizations I just can't figure out. I've watched the four L&L videos on compile and run many searches. While people mention things like customizing the line spacing, none of the posts I found actually describe how to do it. I'm using Scrivener 3.0.2 on Mac OS Sierra and have created a duplicate of the "Manuscript (Times)" format that I'm attempting to customize to do what I want:

So, to my issues:

1) I can't figure out how to customize the line spacing when compiling a manuscript. Where is this controlled from? When editing my custom format, "Section Layouts" formatting tab shows line spacing of "2.0" but it's greyed-out and non-adjustable so presumably this isn't where I can customize it. If I go into "Assign Section Layouts" and choose "As-Is" for scenes I get single-spacing, but I doubt this is the right way to do it. I'd basically like a duplicate of the "Section Text" format with customized line spacing, but if there's a way to create a customized version I've been unable to find it.

2) I want the first paragraph of a scene to be indented the same as all other paragraphs, but can't find the control for that one either.

3) By default a line with "#" centered on it is inserted between scenes. I've managed to remove the "#" character, but a blank like is still inserted as a scene separator. Is it possible to prevent this?

If these questions have already been answered on other threads I'd appreciate a pointer to them, as I've been unable to find the info myself.

Thanks in advance for any help.

so
somatic
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun May 27, 2018 12:31 am Post

I am going to subscribe to this thread because I have a lot of the same questions you do. At this point, I would pay for one-on-one help on compiling a paperback and KDP file.

ajm80031

Sun May 27, 2018 1:25 am Post

The following thread touches on similar topics:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41080

but ends up going off talking about limitations of the epub format. In my case I'm not targeting epub, I'm trying to print a draft and just can't find how to adjust the line spacing or make the other customizations mentioned above.

ajm80031

Sun May 27, 2018 1:35 am Post

It's probably bad form to keep following up to my own post, but I figured out how to eliminate the first paragraph indent. In Compile, choose to edit the format you're using. In the resulting window, select "Section Layouts" from the left pane and then select the "Section Text" layout from the upper-right pane. By default this is set to "Remove from first paragraph and after empty lines." To prevent the first paragraph from being treated differently, select "Do not change" instead.

I'm still looking for answers regarding line spacing and scene separators, but that's one of three resolved.

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun May 27, 2018 2:00 am Post

ajm80031 wrote:When editing my custom format, "Section Layouts" formatting tab shows line spacing of "2.0" but it's greyed-out and non-adjustable so presumably this isn't where I can customize it.

You need to click in the box with the sample text for the formatting controls to become active.

Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 9.51.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 9.51.57 PM.png (114.22 KiB) Viewed 5309 times

ajm80031 wrote:3) By default a line with "#" centered on it is inserted between scenes. I've managed to remove the "#" character, but a blank like is still inserted as a scene separator. Is it possible to prevent this?

I haven't used section separators much (at all?), but what if you set it to single return?
Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 10.05.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 10.05.02 PM.png (98.72 KiB) Viewed 5309 times

ajm80031

Sun May 27, 2018 3:11 am Post

SarsenLintel wrote:
You need to click in the box with the sample text for the formatting controls to become active.

Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 9.51.57 PM.png

Wow, I doubt I would have figured that out on my own. How simple yet unintuitive :-)

SarsenLintel wrote:
ajm80031 wrote:3) By default a line with "#" centered on it is inserted between scenes. I've managed to remove the "#" character, but a blank like is still inserted as a scene separator. Is it possible to prevent this?

I haven't used section separators much (at all?), but what if you set it to single return?

And you're right here as well. Thanks much for the information! I spent over two hours experimenting and couldn't figure out either of these.