annotation format--what did I do?

he
henrietta
Platform: Mac

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:44 pm Post

My annotation format (red) has disappeared--new annotations now look like footnotes within Scrivener (black, ghosted). Old annotations still appear in red. I looked in preferences and couldn't find a setting. Did I do something, change a setting? I can't think of a change that I might have made that would have triggered/changed how annotations appear.

FYI, I tried searching the forum and was briskly told that 'annotation' was too common a word. Sniff.

ma
matt

Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:10 pm Post

Hi,
I remembered that this issue has come up before, so I did a little more searching for you. This appears to be the pick of the posts:

viewtopic.phpf=3&t=3942&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=annotations%2C+gray&start=15

And don't worry about not finding it in the search. At least you tried. I just knew what I was looking for, so I tried a few more keywords.

How odd that annotation is too common, yet "red" and "color" are not!

Matt

he
henrietta

Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:53 pm Post

Thanks, Matt! :D I looked at the underlying color of the text and it was purple--changed it to red and now have my red annotations back. I must have been working on documents with a some purple text, and transferred this to subsequent split documents.

I got an error message opening your link, then realized ( :idea: ) that you'd searched on 'red' and 'color.' (I impress myself, I do.) :lol: And more edifying blather: the search function is ... americo-centric: it sniffed at 'colour' as too common for a poster on that thread. :wink:

Ah, the pure pleasure of procrastination. Takes me away from the common work of writing, since working at writing is so ... common. (I'm writing on ideas of 'high' and 'low' and taste and seeing everything from that perspective. :shock: )

ma
matt

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:44 pm Post

Yep, I tried colour first too. If colour is too common, and color is not, I guess that makes this one of the few forums where the Brits and Aussies are winning!

jm
jmjohnso

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:51 pm Post

My annotations are still grey. I've tried everything except deleting the preferences file only because I had no idea where it was. The font beneath is grey; I did the copy and past to Text Edit. I am software updated and everything.

Minor irritation but like most writers minor irritations boggle my life and frustrate the pissy spit out of me. Which is where I'm a tnow :evil:

Any help to make it just go back to default red would be great.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:17 pm Post

Just select the annotation and change the colour using the Show Colors palette - that should work. The underlying bug for this was fixed in 1.5, so I'm not sure the exact circumstances for how this happened without more details.
Best,
Keith

xiamenese

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:12 pm Post

KB wrote:Just select the annotation and change the colour using the Show Colors palette - that should work. The underlying bug for this was fixed in 1.5, so I'm not sure the exact circumstances for how this happened without more details.
Best,
Keith

Keith, that works, but only temporarily in my experience. I have the problem regularly with a couple of people who send me .docs, and who obviously have no idea that they've set a background colour or something, so when I'm editing their work annotations always come out grey. I change them to red with the colours palette and all looks fine unless I need to go back and edit the annotation, or click in the annotation by accident, at which point it goes back to grey and I have to reset it to red. It's definitely to do with the imported file, 'cos it's only on those it happens.

Oh, and I'm on a MBPro, original model, running 10.5.8.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.4.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ah
ahc

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:45 pm Post

Greetings - I'm having a related (identical?) problem. Even when I create an entirely new Scrivener project (not involving any imported files), annotations are black rather than red. I can change the colo(u)r of a particular annotation to red using Text > Font > Show Colors, but subsequent annotations are still black when created.

How can I go back to all annotations being red by default?

Thank you in advance!

Andy

Edit to add: Scrivener 1.53, OS X 10.6.1

Ca
Carradee

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:05 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:I change them to red with the colours palette and all looks fine unless I need to go back and edit the annotation, or click in the annotation by accident, at which point it goes back to grey and I have to reset it to red. It's definitely to do with the imported file, 'cos it's only on those it happens.

Happens to me in regular files. I've been avoiding saying much about it because I've been trying to figure out how to recreate it. It's particularly annoying when I change the text color, and hovering the mouse over the annotation makes it revert to the color I don't want. (I :evil: red.)

-'Dee
Wanna hydroplane?
--My brother (while driving)

dp
dphaine

Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:08 am Post

I'm suffering from the same problem as others.

In a document created about May '09, existing annotations appear as red, but all new annotations appear in light grey.

(It works correctly in a recently created document; annotations are still red.)

I have found no way to fix this problem. Please help! It's quite hard to work with this way.

Philip

dp
dphaine

Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:26 am Post

Okay I made an interesting discovery whilst trying to cut back a problem file to something small to send to Keith.

The bottom line is that merely changing the file name cured the problem. New annotations become red again in offending documents. (Old annotations remain grey until their annotation state is toggled off and on again.)

Strangely, changing the name back to the original name causes the problem to recur. (Is Scrivener keeping some information somewhere about the document, outside of it?)

Philip

ah
ahc

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:33 am Post

What a slippery problem. Philip, in trying to reproduce your "fix" I have the following experience:

1) Open project. Current annotations are gray. A new annotation in an existing document, however, is RED.

2) Create new document called "Test" in Draft folder. New annotations in this document are gray.

3) Close document. Rename. Reopen.

4) New annotation in "Test" is RED.

5) Create new document called "Second Test" in Draft folder. New annotations in this document are gray.

So yes, renaming seems to have a effect, but a temporary and unpredictable one, at least for me.

Andy

ah
ahc

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:40 am Post

Ah! In testing this a bit further I also experienced what Carradee described.

Started with a completely new project. Annotations were gray.

Closed, renamed, and re-opened project. New annotations were red. This happily persisted across several closings and reopenings.

Then I moused over one of my existing annotations. It turned GRAY! Just with a mouseover--never clicked in it at all. And now all new annotations in that document are gray.

The bottom line is that at some point in the past (a year ago?) this kind of behavior never happened. Keith? Help?

Andy

(P.S. I'm calling the annotations gray but upon closer inspection I would say they are simply black, the same as the text color. Sorry for the confusion.)

KB
Site Admin

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:05 pm Post

Hi,

Sorry, I am monitoring the thread but so far there is still nothing I can reproduce. As soon as someone is able to send me a test project or help me reproduce it so that I can see it for myself (the first step in fixing it), I'll do my best to squash it.

Thanks!
Keith

dp
dphaine

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:22 pm Post

Keith, the fact that merely renaming the file affects the issue suggests that some information is being kept outside the document, and associated to it by filename. In the prefs file maybe?

Indeed, I just tried backing up my prefs file, deleting original, and relaunching Scrivener. The color for new annotations is once again red, this time without me having to rename the document. (The plist file can be found at ~/Library/Preferences/com.literatureandlatte.scrivener.plist)

(For those for whom the renaming offers only a temporary reprieve -- maybe you are experiencing a recurrence of the degenerative bug more quickly and frequently than others.)

Keith, I can try sending you my "bad" .plist file if that helps.

Best,
Philip
productvision.com
Last edited by dphaine on Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.