Scrivener 3: Lock the Binder?

ni
niassa
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:07 am Post

This really more of a question than technical support, but can you tell me if the new Scrivener version will come with an option/ability to lock the binder to prevent accidentally moving files around? I know this is something that has been discussed previously, and asked for as an option... so I'm curious to find out if it's something that is implemented in this new release. :-)

Thanks!

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:27 am Post

It's not in the Mac version, as far as I know, so I suspect the answer is no.

pe
periwynkle
Platform: Windows

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:24 pm Post

I am a HUGE proponent for this.

When you're in a nice writing fugue state, pinging around your binder and looking at character and research and structure notes, it is WAY too easy to reorder the binder *and not notice it.* I don't care what sort of mousepad/tablet precautions you have taken, it will happen.

From a dev standpoint, it's a no-brainer. It doesn't change the experience for those who don't want it, but really enhances that for those who do. And those who don;t *think* they want it: they probably will use it, and forget how they lived without it. :-)

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:28 pm Post

periwynkle wrote:From a dev standpoint, it's a no-brainer.

I'm a fan of this idea, so don't get me wrong, but people have been asking for this feature nearly as long as the software's been in existence--yet it hasn't been implemented, which leads me to suspect it's really not a no-brainer.
I’m just a customer.

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:02 am Post

I keep up to date screenshots of my Binder structure. They've saved me from the inevitable oops. :oops:
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

Hu
Hugh

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:34 am Post

JimRac wrote:

I'm a fan of this idea, so don't get me wrong, but people have been asking for this feature nearly as long as the software's been in existence--yet it hasn't been implemented, which leads me to suspect it's really not a no-brainer.

Just guessing - but to judge from another recent thread in this forum, locks engaged then forgotten could present quite a significant support demand.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Li
Little Angel

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:16 am Post

Hugh wrote:
JimRac wrote:

Just guessing - but to judge from another recent thread in this forum, locks engaged then forgotten could present quite a significant support demand.

Hmm... If I were coding that, to avoid just what you're saying, I'd write:

Drag Attempt:
- If unlocked
--permit
- If locked
-- do not permit
-- show warning modal window [This item is locked. Unlock to move it <ok>]

But - that may prove to be annoying when user tested. "I'm using the binder and every time I accidentally flick over a file, I get this annoying modal window I need to click!" Now, that may be preferable that what happened to me the other day when one of my sections was inexplicably at the top of the chapter, not the bottom, but hey...

It's doable, but where is it on the developers priority list and does it count as scope creep and bloat?

[Just a quick note on "No Brainer". It's not hard to think of, but could have complicated knock-on effects when dealing with something as basic as file structure which could require significant testing to prevent serious issues... so the cost/benefit analysis may just keep it below the line for features to work on...]
Last edited by Little Angel on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Li
Little Angel

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:20 am Post

Oh - and FWIW:

I'm a fan of locking the folder structure in the binder as an option.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:01 pm Post

It might not be something they have managed to figure out at a technical level on Windows, but on a Mac you can undo changes made to the binder, corkboard and outliner. I'd say in general that's a better approach than a separate feature that exists to make undo unnecessary, in that undo should in theory resolve any accidental edits.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Li
Little Angel

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:38 pm Post

Interesting....

I had thought undo doesn't work with changes in Binder structure, but it ... does? Just inconsistently. I just did a test and the first move of a document doesn't undo - most of the time. But a *beep*. Then subsequent changes Do Undo! Hmmm...

Bug?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:43 pm Post

Hmm, yes it looks like if you drag something without it being selected then undo doesn't recognise the action, and then that blocks undo from working further. It might be a bug, I'll check and see if that is something we can fix.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Li
Little Angel

Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:38 pm Post

Oh! Thanks!

ni
niassa

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:05 pm Post

Replying a little late (lol), but the problems occur more when someone accidentally rearranges their binder and doesn't realize it. When my friend first mentioned this to me, I thought "How do you not know you've moved something in the binder?" And then it happened to me this week. I have no idea when I accidentally moved a file, but I realized it today when I was getting ready for Compile.

A modal message asking if you really want to move a file when you have it selected to be locked is easy enough to handle, as is adding a little checkmark to the bottom of the screen saying, "Do not show this warning again." The average person who clicks those kinds of checkmarks are the kind who know what they're doing and if something doesn't move, will say to themselves, "Oh, yeah... I locked that functionality..." So, that part is easy enough to cover. The actual coding of the locking of the binder, on the other hand, I have no idea on the complexity.

This is definitely a feature that many would love to have, though... #justsayin ;-)

devinganger

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:37 pm Post

niassa wrote:This is definitely a feature that many would love to have, though... #justsayin ;-)

Yes, but the one person whose opinion matters doesn't want it:

viewtopic.php?p=278398#p278398

#justsayin
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

kewms

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:53 pm Post

niassa wrote:A modal message asking if you really want to move a file when you have it selected to be locked is easy enough to handle, as is adding a little checkmark to the bottom of the screen saying, "Do not show this warning again." The average person who clicks those kinds of checkmarks are the kind who know what they're doing and if something doesn't move, will say to themselves, "Oh, yeah... I locked that functionality..." So, that part is easy enough to cover. The actual coding of the locking of the binder, on the other hand, I have no idea on the complexity.

How much software support work have you done? Because your description of the "average person" is adorably naive.

What will actually happen is that one group of people will forget that they locked the Binder or how to unlock it, and will respond with angry emails because Scrivener won't let them rearrange their manuscript. Another group will blithely click through the warnings, move the documents anyway, and then send angry emails because Scrivener allowed them to rearrange their manuscript.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team