Locating binder-items when the binder is closed or when its folders are closed

4m
4miler

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:44 am Post

I refer to the sample outline in the Binder, where there are four folders, each having two country names.

When all the Binder folders are expanded, when I search for, say, Canada, the highlighter in the binder takes me straight to the item.

1.jpg
1.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 784 times

However, when the Binder's folders are collapsed (such that the Canada item is hidden), when I search for "Canada" it only takes me to the location in the Outliner -- but it does not take me to "Canada" in the Binder.

2.jpg
2.jpg (73.11 KiB) Viewed 784 times

Given that I'm working on a very large document, this makes it difficult to go to the search hit.

I didn't have such problems in Scrivener 2, but for some reason Scrivener 3's searches are not automatically taking me to the location in the Binder.

Moreover, even when I expand the entire Binder, that does not seem to take me to the search hit. It does in the simple Canada example above, but when I work with my actual document that is far more complex, it does not take me to the location in the Binder. Not sure why.

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:03 am Post

The interaction between binder highlight and editor can get a bit complex at times, depending on the precise circumstances (is Scrivenings mode on or off etc) — there are reasons for the design choices, but I lose track of what they are sometimes.

Rather than worrying about it and trying to remember the rules for all circumstances, I just use the very useful shortcut cmd-opt-r (Reveal in Binder) which makes the Binder selection catch up with the Editor. It may help you while we're waiting for a definitive explanation of the reasons why this happens.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:09 pm Post

In this case the reason is pretty simple: you are not editing the folder called “three”, you are editing a subdcoument called “Canada”. Why would “three” be highlighted unless you are editing it?

As noted above though, to jump to the location of search results (or for any other reason), use the Reveal in Binder menu command. The automatic doing of this was removed from Scrivener 3, because it essentially meant one had no control over the collapse state of their folders if they ever used search. You just might as well leave everything fully expanded, and in huge projects that is more of a nuisance than a help. It meanwhile requires extremely little investement to close the search inteface with a keyboard shortcut or menu command. In fact, it’s actually more accessible and easier to close the search interface by default using Reveal, than it is to close it normally. :)

It does in the simple Canada example above, but when I work with my actual document that is far more complex, it does not take me to the location in the Binder. Not sure why.

I don’t know what you mean by that, by it “taking you to the location”. There is a passive highlight that shows what you are editing but that is all that is happening in this simpler example as well. If you want to have the binder manipulated to whatever degree necessary to show your item, that is what the command is for. Doing that all of the time, automatically, would mean turning this tool into something else entirely.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles