Ornamental Breaks Appearing on ToC

ch
chuckmiller
Platform: Mac

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:21 pm Post

I'm finalizing an update to my ebook and I'm having issues resolving a few things. One is the appearance of ornamental breaks that I've added to my chapters on the ToC. I have three hearts as a break. When placed in the section layout under title suffix, it appears correctly on the chapter page, but also appears on the ToC where I don't want it.
toc.jpeg
toc.jpeg (359.11 KiB) Viewed 691 times

orn.jpeg
orn.jpeg (193.93 KiB) Viewed 691 times

When I place it in the section prefix after the title, it no longer shows on the ToC, but it appears misplaced on the chapter page.
chpt.jpeg
chpt.jpeg (188.45 KiB) Viewed 691 times

If anyone can help me sort this out, I would really appreciate it.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 pm Post

Go into the Document Title Links compile format pane and check off Do not include title suffixes in updated links. That kind of stuff is precisely what this option is for.

Alternatively you could make use of the new ability to add a suffix to the entire layout, in the “Suffix” tab, to handle this kind of stuff, since strictly speaking the ornament is not a part of the heading text, but a part of how it is presented as a block.

I also promote the latter use as you might find use for the suffix as an integral part of the heading text, something you would want in the ToC. Being able to separate that content from the ornamental presentation of the heading as a whole means being able to achieve that, while adding both the integral component and the ornament to the same title suffix field would put you in the bind of having to turn it all off or leave the ornaments in the ToC.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ch
chuckmiller
Platform: Mac

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:08 am Post

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. :)