Positioning header and footer text

Pe
Peter Barnfather
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 am Post

Hi!

I'm just working my way through Scrivener v3, and have sorted out most of my teething issues except one: I'm still not able to position my footer and header elements on the page.

In Scrivener v2 I used to do this using the 'Page Setup' section of the compiler, selecting a higher or lower 'Non-Printable Area' based on where I wanted the page number/title/etc. placed. Except with v3 this doesn't move the text at all, they're always too low/too close to the page edge (always about 1cm from the bottom or top of the page).

Does anyone know how I can regain control of this element within v3?

Thanks.

Pe
Peter Barnfather

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:08 am Post

Hi again,

I had checked through the forum and none of the answers apply to me, as the majority wanted to lower the footer text and not place it higher on the page. I mainly produce poetry manuscripts for print (PDF) and so the layouts usually have higher footer and header text in them.

So, if anyone could help me out that would be great! :)

Peter

KB
Site Admin

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm Post

In Scrivener 3, the non-printable area no longer has any effect when you are generating a PDF file (assuming you have selected "PDF" as the format); it's only used when printing (or using "Save as PDF" in the print panel). This is to avoid issues users were having with header and footer positioning in 2.x, and because PDF files shouldn't need to worry about the printable area. The header and footer should appear halfway down the top or bottom margin.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."