How to save and where to save scrivener backups

mj
mjohnson354
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:21 am Post

lunk wrote:A detail, when you got the error message, did you test to Reveal in Finder as the box said?

Yes, I keep checking this -- it aligns with where I'm trying to successfully backup the file.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:28 am Post

mjohnson354 wrote:I'm simply working from the file in its "live" location, closing it and then opening the file in it's backup location archive state to ensure it's archiving correctly. It DOES open for me -- but with the error message warning above.

I think Scrivener's warning is legitimate.

If I am understanding your steps above, to confirm that your backup worked, you are going into the designated backup folder and using Scrivener to open the backup project.

Well, that corresponds to the warning message. You have opened your project in the designated backup folder, and that's what Scrivener is warning you about!

I understand your desire to confirm that your backup worked. A better way to do that is to copy your backup project out of the backup folder, say onto your desktop, and then try to open it. Then you will not get the warning.

Make sense?

HTH,
Jim

ETA: I just read through the responses and see that rdale has already told you basically the same thing. :D

In case you don't realize this, there is nothing special about Scrivener's backups, they are simply copies of your live project. If you were to have some disaster strike and your live Scrivener project was damaged, the first thing most folks on this forum would likely tell you to do--I certainly would--is copy your latest backup from the backup folder to somewhere else, and then open it to see if your lost words are in there. So what I am suggesting above is also what I'd suggest you do in the event of an actual problem.
I’m just a customer.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 am Post

To make sure that your backups remain backups, tick the box to make them zip-files.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 pm Post

One more odd detail – I “reset to default” the Backup location. And then within that Preferences window asked it to show me where the default would save it. What’s so strange is that the file structure indicated there does not mirror what’s on my machine. So I can’t “find the archive” in it’s default location. UGH. I don’t understand why this is so hard. I’m not sure what to try next…

The default is in ~/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Backups, which by default is in a hidden location. That may explain why you can’t find a way to navigate there with Finder, and it’s definitely not going to be anywhere in your iCloud Drive hierarchy. If you want to make the folder visible, navigate to your Home folder in Finder, hit ⌘J to bring up view settings for that folder, and tick the Show Library folder option. Now you should be able to navigate manually to the above path.

Something else to consider is that each project can have its own backup folder set. If you have changed a project’s backup settings in Project ▸ Project Settings... then it won’t respond to the setting in your main Preferences: Backup pane.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

sy
sylvia1

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:49 pm Post

I simply took the Scrivener Backups folder out of my Documents and put it on my Desktop. To test it, I closed and reopened my project, and the error message doesn't show up anymore.

kewms

Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:26 am Post

sylvia1 wrote:I simply took the Scrivener Backups folder out of my Documents and put it on my Desktop. To test it, I closed and reopened my project, and the error message doesn't show up anymore.

Be sure to reset the backup location as well, or the error message will reappear as soon as you make a new backup. (Closing and re-opening doesn't create a backup, as nothing has changed.)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:59 am Post

I simply took the Scrivener Backups folder out of my Documents and put it on my Desktop. To test it, I closed and reopened my project, and the error message doesn’t show up anymore.

That’s probably less a solution and more a dodging of the error condition. I wouldn’t recommend putting your automatic backup folder on ~/Desktop, for one thing. That location is meant for storing aliases and short-term things you are presently working on, rather than serving as a long-term archive for huge amounts of information. It will slow down your Mac in the long run, trying to do so.

The main thing you want to do is keep your work separate from your backups, and going by your description that hasn’t yet happened. There is no reason to keep them together under any circumstances, no matter what you are doing—using Word or Adobe Reader or Scrivener. So instead of moving the folder with everything in it to a different location to avoid the warning, what would be best is to separate your working files from your backups.

Right now you have, if I understand correctly, all of your important backups stashed on the desktop along with your work. You are avoiding the error by making it so that folder is no longer a live backup folder, but presumably you want your automatic backups in the automatic backup folder.

The best setup will be:

• One folder that holds your backups. Put it aside in a place that won’t be confused with active working projects, yet is accessible as you want it to be. Make sure the Backup preference pane setting points to this folder.
  • And for your projects that you work on—well they can be anywhere you want, but if you want them all in one place together then make a new folder for just them. Any active projects found in the current backup folder should be moved out of it, whether to another folder or topically organised into folders of your choosing.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles