Project not in a recommended location

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:51 pm Post

ChrisW wrote:Lunk -- your help was the break through I needed.

Glad you untangled it!
Good writing! :)
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

sy
sylvia1
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:53 pm Post

I had the same problems and also couldn't understand what the techs were talking about (i.e., what the difference between backups and "live projects" was.

Then I looked at my Scrivener Backups folder, which I keep on my desktop. I discovered that the backups have the words "bak.zip" in the title, whereas the "live projects" have the word ".scriv".

So I just made a second folder on my desktop, named it "Scrivener Projects," and shoved all the files with the word ".scriv" over into that one.

Problem solved.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:29 pm Post

sylvia1 wrote:I had the same problems and also couldn't understand what the techs were talking about (i.e., what the difference between backups and "live projects" was.

Then I looked at my Scrivener Backups folder, which I keep on my desktop. I discovered that the backups have the words "bak.zip" in the title, whereas the "live projects" have the word ".scriv".

So I just made a second folder on my desktop, named it "Scrivener Projects," and shoved all the files with the word ".scriv" over into that one.

Problem solved.

Right, you were trying to open projects from the automatic backups folder, which is exactly what the message says the problem is.

I've put together a Knowledge Base article on this message (and the message will now provide a button that takes you to this article) - this should explain things in detail:

https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... tion-error
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."