How do I use Scrivener 3 with two authors

nw
nwconsulting
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:33 am Post

Hi, I am new to Scrivener and the forum.

I have been working on a large document that has lots of folders and sections. I now need to pass the document to a co-author who is going to rewrite parts of what I have done whilst I need to continue to work on other parts of the document.

We both have Scrivener 3 on Mac, how can I do what I need.

Thanks

Nathan

Ki
Kinsey

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm Post

There are several discussions regarding collaborating using Scrivener on the forum. Some of the advice might be slightly outdated now, however, as the refer to Scriv 2. Try these to start:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37878

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39018&hilit=collaboration

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:23 pm Post

Once, and once only, you can do a "save as" of a project, modify (or have someone else modify) that copy, and then merge that copy back with the original. After that point, you'd have to do a File->Save As again, pass it to your collaborator, and repeat the process. If they send you their updated version, you merge it with your copy, and then they send you another change made with the same copy they already passed back, you probably won't be able to merge the latest changes.

So,the steps are as follows:
  1. Set up your binder the way you want them to see it. It's best to avoid rearranging too much stuff in the binder during this process.
  2. File->Save As to create a duplicate. I recommend putting your collaborator's name or initials in the copy's name.
  3. Transport this other author's copy to them however makes the most sense. The next few steps make it easier to mail to them,or to share it with them... Ask for help if your sharing method will differ.
  4. Quit Scrivener or at least close that project.
  5. In the finder, create a .zip archive of the project for easier transportation. I believe the CMD-click option is "compress" or similar.
  6. Mail the .zip file that results from compressing the project.
  7. Once they acknowledge they have the copy, delete that copy from your computer to avoid confusion during the import process later.

Refrain from editing the documents that your co-author will be touching, and be sure they don't do anything with the documents you will be working on during this period of sharing.

To merge back, once you receive their updated copy...
  1. Run a backup on your work using either File->Back up->Back Up Now, or "Back Up To..."
  2. Use File->Import->Scrivener Project on your co-author's work.
  3. Verify that your work is untouched, and that their work has been imported.
  4. Trash their updated copy.
  5. Make sure they know to throw out their copy. Any further changes they make to that copy will probably be much harder to merge back to your original.

Repeat the whole process again to continue collaborating.

See section 5.1.7 "Merging Projects" for a more in-depth, and likely more accurate, explanation of how to do this.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

se
seefilms

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 am Post

Or, in other words, there really is no sane way to do this.
Because, if every time I needed to send a document to my writing partner I had to go through that kind of process...
I'd be insane.
Amazing product. Unless there are two authors.

xiamenese

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:23 am Post

The only other way—as I have been doing for years—is to co-ordinate working so you don’t have the project open at the same time. But that is easier for us as my collaborator is 7–8 hours away in China. And that it seems is not acceptable.

To make simultaneous editing possible would be a huge task for a very small company, and while I’m sure KB would say "never say 'never' ", I really wouldn’t hold your breath!

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:49 am Post

If you have Dropbox and have your Scriv projects in a designated folder, put the mutual project in a subfolder and give your co-writer access to that. Then make sure you open the project, write, close it, and then tell your co-writer it is closed.
If either one of you try to open the project while it is already being opened by the other, you’ll get a message saying that and you can then simple refrain from opening it.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:53 pm Post

seefilms wrote:Or, in other words, there really is no sane way to do this.
Because, if every time I needed to send a document to my writing partner I had to go through that kind of process...
I'd be insane.
Amazing product. Unless there are two authors.

Write out any set of actions one must take to accomplish something, and it will look "insane."

How to drive a car:
1. Walk up to the car
2. Pull up/squeeze the door handle until the door unlatches. If it does not unlatch, see #3, if it does, skip to 4
3. Unlock the door and go to 2.
4. Pull the door fully open.
5. Carefully climb into the driver's seat, careful not to bump your head on the door frame.
6. Put the key in the ignition
6a. If you have a location for your phone to charge and/or connect to your stereo, arrange that now.
7. Fasten your seatbelt.
8. Check your mirrors, adjust as needed
9. Make sure your seat is adjusted correctly; especially important if you share the car with another driver
10. Press down on the break pedal. If driving a manual transmission vehicle, also press down on the clutch pedal
11. ...

Insane, isn't it! Yet people do it every day without thinking about all those steps (and more, for some vehicles).

When writing out technical instructions, one must break down the steps, and take alternatives into account, or risk the recipient's confusion or frustration. I could have just said, "Do a Save As, don't edit the project (or at least don't edit anything the other author will touch), then use the import function when they return the copy. Trash the save-as copies, and create another as needed for your collaborator." Does that sound "insane"? If so, the compile process will break your mind and send your soul into the abyss!
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

am
amekassa70

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:The only other way—as I have been doing for years—is to co-ordinate working so you don’t have the project open at the same time. But that is easier for us as my collaborator is 7–8 hours away in China. And that it seems is not acceptable.

To make simultaneous editing possible would be a huge task for a very small company, and while I’m sure KB would say "never say 'never' ", I really wouldn’t hold your breath!

:)

Mark

We both have Scrivener 3 on Mac, how can I do what I need.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:28 pm Post

amekassa70 wrote:We both have Scrivener 3 on Mac, how can I do what I need.

Follow Lunk's instructions:

lunk wrote:If you have Dropbox and have your Scriv projects in a designated folder, put the mutual project in a subfolder and give your co-writer access to that. Then make sure you open the project, write, close it, and then tell your co-writer it is closed.
If either one of you try to open the project while it is already being opened by the other, you’ll get a message saying that and you can then simple refrain from opening it.
I’m just a customer.

jc
jcarman

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 pm Post

You could use the Scrivener file as a repository using a versioning system, updating it on a schedule to avoid conflicts and otherwise writing in something else or another Scriv. project, committing finished parts to the repository.

Or not.