Scrivener 3 Locking Up on Updating Styles

ch
chuckmiller
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:15 pm Post

I'm having problems with Scrivener locking up when updating some styles, specifically h1 headers and indented paragraph styles. Is this a known bug in the latest version of Scrivener?

I have to Force Quit the application and then go through it to see where the style updates ended.

UPDATE: Selecting Format > Style > Redefine Style from Selection is now having NO effect on updating styles at all. Something is seriously wrong! I've closed and reopened the program and it's had no effect to rectify the matter.

UPDATE: I rebooted my Mac and styles seem to be functioning again. However, Styles are NOT updating after transforming text. In other words, you can change text from normal to bold or italic and it will update the style accordingly. But, changing the case and trying to apply it to the style has no effect. Which begs the question, Why?

If I want to change my headings from sentence case to uppercase, I have to manually change every one in my book. That doesn't make sense. Compile settings can handle the change for ebooks, but I haven't found a way to change headings to uppercase in compile settings for .docx format.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:44 pm Post

There may be a mixture of malfunction and misunderstanding going on. Firstly, am I to understand that the problem was mostly resolved by restarting? If so it may be the software had malfunctioned earlier in the session and the restart (generally only restarting the software is necessary however, not a full reboot) cleared that condition. If it’s something that is happening repeatedly, I’d recommend enabling internal error alerts in the General: Warnings preference pane. That will give you a head’s up the moment something goes wrong rather than having to eventually discern there is a problem through odd behaviour. If you can track down the appearance of an error to a sequence of steps, let us know.

Continuing on to what appears to be the remaining issue, you are expecting letter case to be stored and applied via styles but that isn’t how Scrivener works. It doesn’t have a way of storing text as “this” and displaying it dynamically as “THIS”. So when you use the transformation tool you are changing the text itself, hence: Edit ▸ Transformations ▸ Make Uppercase and not Format ▸ Font ▸ Letter Case ▸ Uppercase.

However, that shouldn’t be a problem…

Compile settings can handle the change for ebooks, but I haven’t found a way to change headings to uppercase in compile settings for .docx format.

You can insert headings and display them as uppercase in even plain old .txt files if you want, let alone word processing files. For example:
  1. Create a new blank project and rename the starter document to “Test Me”, and add some junk text to it.
  2. File ▸ Compile... and create a new Format.
  3. In the Section Layouts compile format pane, select “Text Section with Heading” in the list, and click on the “Title Options” tab.
  4. Set Title Case to “Uppercase”.
  5. Save the format, and back in the compile overview screen, click Assign Section Layouts.
  6. Press ⌘A to select all types, and set them to use the modified “Text Section with Heading” Layout.
  7. Change Compile for: RTF, and click Compile.
Result:

TEST ME

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ch
chuckmiller

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:09 pm Post

Thanks for relying. The issue with the styles not updating was corrected by shutting everything down and rebooting the system. As for the case changes, I figured there must be an issue with that not being affected by redefining the styles. That was not an issue with the ebook version, as I could handle that by adding some css. Unfortunately, that's not an option with the .docx version of my book.

My problem is not with formatting chapter or section headings as uppercase. I know how to do that. My issue is with subheads using the Heading 1 style that appear within each chapter as in the attachment below. I have not found a way to change them globally in .docx compiling. If I'm missing something here, please let me know.
Attachments
subheads.jpeg
subheads.jpeg (490.89 KiB) Viewed 1462 times

AmberV

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:05 pm Post

Okay, this ties in with the post that I just made earlier. Hopefully you’ve found where to adjust the stylesheet assignment headings are using in the Layout. I did misunderstand what you meant by subheading in the other thread—I was thinking you were referring to a construct like:

Chapter One

Introduction

If both lines were H1, that would of course make for a weird ToC in Word. But the same idea goes for this—only that it looks like your subheadings are coming from another layout.

The way I’d handle it is making the subheads H2 and make sure the ToC settings in Word exclude level 2 outline from it, that way the document remains coherent as an outline if necessary. But you could do like I suggested earlier and have the subheads using some style not within the Heading # outline hierarchy too.
Ioa Petra'ka

ch
chuckmiller

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:57 pm Post

Thanks for the suggestions. I changed my subheads to h2 for the second chapter of my book as a test and in the section layout assigned h1 to the chapter titles (see the image below). When I generated a ToC with word, it totally skipped chapter 2. It didn't see the h1 heading. So, I don't know what went wrong. Any thoughts?

Also, is there a way to globally make case changes? There is the ability to Find by Formatting, so I can search for my headings and find them easily, but not a way to replace the format with a different format. It's like search and replace without the replace.
Attachments
h1.jpeg
h1.jpeg (557.88 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

AmberV

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:18 pm Post

Sorry to say I don’t know enough about Word to answer the first part. In testing other word processors I don’t get a result like that.

On the second point, there isn’t. It’s usually going to be easier to generate headings of any sort with the compiler so that this kind of stuff can be done centrally. Even if the format finder could replace formatting, that wouldn’t address letter case in a program like this.
Ioa Petra'ka

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:55 am Post

If the lines that need to get uppercased arrive in Word with a designated style, you can set that style in Word so as to use all caps.

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

ch
chuckmiller

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:29 pm Post

Amber: If the best way to generate headings of any sort is with the compiler, how do I do that for headings that are not at the top of a section? I can handle the chapter (Chapter <$t>) and section (<$rst_scene>) titles through the section compile settings, Title Options. But, how do I handle subheadings h2 and h3 that appear within the body of those sections? That's what I can't figure out.

GR: Where do I go in Word to set the style for h2 and h3 headers? I'm not finding that option.

AmberV

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:31 pm Post

All right, if the headings are in the middle of binder sections then there isn’t a way of doing that. I was thinking they were subdocuments in the draft, using a different Layout.
Ioa Petra'ka