Images DPI

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:50 am Post

devinganger wrote:Okay, that’s the piece I was missing – that you’re changing the image on disk, specifically the DPI metadata?

Yup that’s it. And that relationship between intended point scale and physical raster (DPI) is all Scrivener has to work with for producing a similar looking HTML result.

nontroppo wrote:Actually I think what Ioa said is not true at least for images in the Binder that are “linked” into a document.

That’s correct, linked images are different. To provide a consistent experience we have to go with the limitations of the most limited object in the system though.

The pixel size of the image and the intended point dimensions are stored in the RTF as well as in the image. It’s for parsing, similar to the practice of stipulating an image’s w/h in HTML, to avoid page length creep as the images load in. Unlike HTML though, it is not a method for storing arbitrary sizing values that differ from what is stored in the image itself. The image itself will match the numbers you see.

This is all rather academic though. We’re just describing in greater detail what has already been defined as how things work, earlier in the thread: the images are referred to and processed as print images from start to finish. You have your pixel size and your point size, and the HTML conversion process tries to generate a result that looks the same as the intended print size.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

nontroppo
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:53 pm Post

AmberV wrote:That’s correct, linked images are different. To provide a consistent experience we have to go with the limitations of the most limited object in the system though.

So then I don't really understand. I've tried both types of links (binder links and linked to an external file), and embedded images (where there is no disk file) and nowhere is a file on disk edited or changed when changing the scaling? Do you mean after a compile? Yes this is a purely academic query! 8)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm Post

Try this:
  1. Drop a graphic into the text editor to fully embed it.
  2. Double-click and set its DPI to something unorthodox and click OK.
  3. Right-click on the image and “Save Image”.
  4. Open image in Photoshop. The file should be tuned to the DPI you set in step 2.

And to clarify what I mean by the design reflecting the most limited object in the system: I meant that purely by what additional sizing sliders we could provide for images. The sliders currently operate directly on what can be expressed with RTF on an embedded graphic. Even *if* the RTF file was driving the image size rather than the image being sized and the RTF describing its size, it will still all be rooted in those four flags that print pixel size and intended size in points.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles