Quickly creating new document at one higher outline level

sh
shivohum

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:48 am Post

So in my binder, I -- like just about everyone -- often create nested documents:

Persons
--Mary
--Robert
--Peter
--Furniture
Places

Two questions:
-Is there an easy way of unindenting something? For example, how do I take Furniture above and make it at the same level of Persons and Places? The only way I know right now is to drag "Furniture" above "Persons"... then it becomes the same level. But I feel like there has to be an easier way.

-Relatedly, right now if I want to create a document under "Places" called "Paris," and then I want to create a document called "Animals" which is one level higher -- that is, again, at the level of "Persons" and "Places," I have to create that and drag it. Is there some extremely easy way to simply, with a click of a key, tell Scrivener that I want the next document to be one level higher?

Thanks.

Bridey
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:00 pm Post

The “move” icons, which you can add to the toolbar, might help.

Move Icons.jpg
Move Icons.jpg (162.31 KiB) Viewed 964 times

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm Post

You can also use the shortcut keys cmd-ctl-left arrow / right arrow / up / down to move items in the binder -- very useful -- NB the focus must be in the Binder for them to do this.

So to take your example: <cmd-n> type Animals <cmd-ctl-left arrow> will do what you want. (You don't even have to press Enter after you've typed Animals.)

If the focus is in the Editor, then the same keys will Indent / Outdent / Move Up / Move Down the current paragraph. Also very useful...

sh
shivohum

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:45 am Post

Perfect -- these are just the tips I was looking for. Thanks so much!!