Label colours in Binder in Scrivener 3

cl
clcampbell
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:51 pm Post

I realise it's a very minor thing, but... :)

Is it possible to view the label colour in the Binder as it was in the older version, where the colour encompassed the file names in a rounded box? Currently the only option I see is a flat line across the entire width of the Binder. There's nothing wrong with it functionality-wise, of course. I just feel like it looked much nicer before, with the depth it gave the file names. It sort of all blends together now.

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 3.49.40 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 3.49.40 pm.png (71.95 KiB) Viewed 7153 times

I suspect this is just the way it is now, but I thought I'd see if there's actually an option to change this and I've just somehow missed it.

Thanks!

Additionally: I'm beginning to notice it's not immediately clear which scene I'm working on, given that the current scene colour looks like just another label colour.
Last edited by clcampbell on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sc
ScriverTid
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:36 pm Post

I'm with you - the old way shows the nesting of different levels much more clearly.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 pm Post

That’s the way it is now, there aren’t any additional settings that would alter how that look appears. Hey at least it is there though; the initial design only had the dots. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

cl
clcampbell

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:52 pm Post

Okay, thanks for your reply.

Actually, I've reverted to just the dots. Unfortunately I find that the highlighted file/scene I'm currently working on gets lost amidst all the other label colours.

gr

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:26 am Post

Might be time to look back at setting the label color to just effect the document/folder icon. I find this provides all the color queuing I need and doesn't (with custom reduced opacity) make too much noise, and certainly does not obscure hierarchy.

-gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

ikemitsu

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:58 am Post

People, how do you get the label colours show in the Binder in the first place? I can't find the setting for this.

sc
scshrugged

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:03 am Post

ikemitsu wrote:People, how do you get the label colours show in the Binder in the first place? I can't find the setting for this.

Take a look at Scrivener > View Menu > the Use Label Color In options
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

ikemitsu

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:18 am Post

Thank you @scshrugged. I was searching the Appearance settings in vain.

ca
caitmdwyer

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 am Post

yes thank you! It took me forever to find this too - I was looking in preferences. I will add a vote to the suggestion that you make the label color look similar to the way it did in Scrivener 2. The dots don't do enough and the bar across the whole width is just too much.

cl
clcampbell

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:20 pm Post

gr wrote:Might be time to look back at setting the label color to just effect the document/folder icon. I find this provides all the color queuing I need and doesn't (with custom reduced opacity) make too much noise, and certainly does not obscure hierarchy.

-gr

Thanks for the thought, but that defeats the purpose I use it for. I write multi-POVs so I have always highlighted each individual scene (not chapter) according to the POV voice. Highlighting just the chapter wouldn't work since I have multiple POVs in a chapter at times.

cl
clcampbell

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:21 pm Post

caitmdwyer wrote:yes thank you! It took me forever to find this too - I was looking in preferences. I will add a vote to the suggestion that you make the label color look similar to the way it did in Scrivener 2. The dots don't do enough and the bar across the whole width is just too much.

Agreed. I've been working with it for over a day now and I find it just looks a bit OTT. I've switched back to the dots but these aren't as immediately obvious, either. Shame! I think it looked and worked fantastic before!

br
brookter

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 pm Post

clcampbell wrote:Thanks for the thought, but that defeats the purpose I use it for. I write multi-POVs so I have always highlighted each individual scene (not chapter) according to the POV voice. Highlighting just the chapter wouldn't work since I have multiple POVs in a chapter at times.

Sorry, not sure I understand this: if you have the highlight icons option set, it applies to everything in the binder — you actually can't make it only work for folders — so it will work for your scenes as well.

A combination of Icon and Dot colour is quite effective.

Sc
Scrittore

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm Post

I agree with most here on the regrettable loss of fully-colored chapter/section lines in the Binder. The dots, while subtly attractive, seem to favor design form over function. At least allow user control here, as those of us using Scrivener for 7 years now depend heavily on quick visual identification provided in the "old way."

My thanks as we'll to @scshrugged for pointing the way to the dots. With nigh on 40 chapters in various uniquely-colored states (Done, Not Started, Pending Research, etc) I was lost for a whole day (though I did spy the color state in the lower right corner of the Inspector > Notes panel).

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:03 pm Post

Just to make sure we’re on the same page, the discussion above was referring to how the full-width highlight is full-width, and not just text-indent-width. You aren’t just stuck with dots alone: use View/Use Label Color In/Use Full Width in Binder.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Sc
Scrittore

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:16 pm Post

Outstanding! Thanks AmberV.