Papers 3 citations working in Scrivener 3?

cw
cwerner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 am
Platform: Mac

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:03 pm Post

nontroppo wrote:That KM macro should work, it would be cool if you could get this to also work in KM; though there was a complaint about the performance, and Bookends can return a lot of records which may slow it all down. The developer did say he will make this native in the next version?


Well, it's not going to be me doing this since I decided to go all in (was holding out on the powerpack, but what the hell) and try to replicate the Alfred/ Pandoc/ Bookends / Scrivener workflow :D

And I have a question regarding this: do you know if one could also insert a URI (if bookends takes them) to the inserted cite-key? I saw another post where someone used a inline comment to get extra info, but I think it would be really cool if one could cite-while-you-write insert a MMD or pandoc cite-key that is followed by a URI linking back to the bookends entry (or the PDF) and is wrapped in an inline comment in Scrivener so it's ignored at compile stage...

Not sure if this is possible though :shock:

User avatar
nontroppo
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Airstrip One

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:23 pm Post

cwerner wrote:And I have a question regarding this: do you know if one could also insert a URI (if bookends takes them) to the inserted cite-key? I saw another post where someone used a inline comment to get extra info, but I think it would be really cool if one could cite-while-you-write insert a MMD or pandoc cite-key that is followed by a URI linking back to the bookends entry (or the PDF) and is wrapped in an inline comment in Scrivener so it's ignored at compile stage...


Generating the URI with the citation is easy, and this could easily be inserted as plain text (the OPML export tool does this). The difficulty is getting it formatting as an inline annotation with the URL clickable, this would require creating a RTF fragment and making it so the clipboard recognises it as RTF. Keith could probably tell us what the RTF fragment should look like, but we would need to work out how Applescript can tag the clipboard contents as RTF (perhaps it is done automatically?)

EDIT: with one of my tools (berefsearch) you can select a citation in Scrivener and it will find the ref in Bookends, almost as quick as a URL...

cw
cwerner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 am
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 am Post

This would be cool.

I kind of managed to hack something together by modifying your Alfred workflow. Basically I trigger an inline comment via keystrokes prior and after writing text to the app. I use keystroke and the text was split into pandoc citation and a bookends://sonnysoftware/UUID link.
This works, but I cannot give a link abbreviation text, so it always shows the full link in Scrivener (which is not useful for inline citations)...
My Idea was to have:
[@Author2010](*) and (*) being the link with bookends://...UUID

Even better would be:
[@Author2010] and Author2010 be the link item itself and the href code would be stripped out at compile stage

User avatar
nontroppo
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Airstrip One

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 am Post

cwerner wrote:My Idea was to have:
[@Author2010](*) and (*) being the link with bookends://...UUID

Even better would be:
[@Author2010] and Author2010 be the link item itself and the href code would be stripped out at compile stage


I am close to being able to do this using RTF formatting in the clipboard rather than GUI scripting which can be fragile, see:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50279

I can already get a link, so it should be possible to do [@author2010] as a link. I can also get [@author2010] as a comment and the comment contains the link which would mean you remove comments while still using other links in the text. But the holy grail would be if I could get an inline annotation...

cw
cwerner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 am
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 am Post

Nice!

Hopefully this will work.

In the meantime, Papers3 pushed a beta update http://wippp.com/blog/papers-3-now-supports-scrivener-3/. But I'm on my way out using Bookends now anyways... Transition is a bit rough though - had no idea I had so many problems in my papers3 database !!!

Wi
Willfinch
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:08 pm
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm Post

I emailed Papers/ReadCube about this. It is a "known issue" and there is a fix in the current beta version of Papers 3 (v.3.4.15 (552)). The fix is working for me at the moment.

You can get the beta version by going to Preferences > General and tick the option "Inform me about available pre-release and beta versions of Papers". If it doesn't then prompt you to update you can 'check for updates'.

As the help-desk informed me, it's working keeping in mind that "this is a beta version thus please ensure a complete backup of your library at all times before updating."

Hope this helps - still keeping fingers crossed for a fix in the stable release.
W

N.B. I'm on a mac (10.13.2 (17C88)) running Scrivener (V.3.0.1 (966))

ma
marcoiac
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:12 am
Platform: Mac

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:14 pm Post

I am also running the beta of Papers 3 and it runs smoothly (so far). There were plenty of annotations bugs that this version has definitely ironed out. I highly recommend running the beta. The warning words are just standard warnings for beta.

ba
barbudo
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:58 pm
Platform: Mac

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:32 pm Post

I totally agree with @marcoiac.

The only serious bug isn’t fixed is the ability to sync with iOS freehand annotations. New paper’s support team confirmed me by email it’s a known bug and they are working on it.

User avatar
06nH
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:27 am
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:58 pm Post

For those still holding on to Papers3 - there is now an official update 3.4.16 that lets you cite in Scrivener 3.

User avatar
Etherealmind
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:45 am
Platform: Mac
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:15 pm Post

To update this thread - I abandoned Papers because

1. subscription model
2. the price of the subscription is far too high
3. I couldn’t get it work
4. their tech support treated me like an idiot.

I do not recommend having anything to do with the new owner of Papers. In fact, I highly recommend getting as far way as possible giving the response from their developers who really don’t like their customers.

ma
marcoiac
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:12 am
Platform: Mac

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:20 pm Post

Etherealmind wrote:To update this thread - I abandoned Papers because

1. subscription model
2. the price of the subscription is far too high
3. I couldn’t get it work
4. their tech support treated me like an idiot.

I do not recommend having anything to do with the new owner of Papers. In fact, I highly recommend getting as far way as possible giving the response from their developers who really don’t like their customers.


??? What subscription model? I have Papers running on all my machines and I am not paying any subscription. I think Papers works fine now, It's not perfect, but I haven't found a perfect reference manager yet. Perhaps you are thinking of another app? Because what you say doesn't sound to me anything like Papers.

User avatar
mikehalloran
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:44 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Sillie Con Valley
Contact:

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 pm Post

The iOS version is free. Papers 3 for Mac is $79 for a new license. No mention of a subscription model.
Musician, Author, Editor

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 4393
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:48 pm Post

Etherealmind wrote:To update this thread - I abandoned Papers because

1. subscription model
2. the price of the subscription is far too high
3. I couldn’t get it work
4. their tech support treated me like an idiot.

I do not recommend having anything to do with the new owner of Papers. In fact, I highly recommend getting as far way as possible giving the response from their developers who really don’t like their customers.


What app have you been using? It doesn’t sound at all like Papers 3.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

User avatar
kodamapixel
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 pm
Platform: Mac

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:24 pm Post

lunk wrote:What app have you been using? It doesn’t sound at all like Papers 3.


I assume this is a reference to the incoming ReadCube version of Papers. I do agree with the post that support has been poor -- although this has been my experience long before ReadCube bought the app.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 4393
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:15 pm Post

kodamapixel wrote:. I do agree with the post that support has been poor -- although this has been my experience long before ReadCube bought the app.


That’s not at all my experience. I have gotten quick replies to my questions and even got help to create an Apple script for exporting annotations with complete reference.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS