Papers 3 citations working in Scrivener 3?

06nH
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:13 pm Post

Ah, this is great. I was looking at doing exactly that (modifying the plist file) this morning - it lasts while Papers is frozen and waiting to be quit. It does indeed seem to be an internal check by Papers - I have already emailed them that adding 'support' for Scrivener 3 would only be a matter of adding a single line of code. Perhaps some more emails their way puts some pressure on the case.

Alternatively, the Alfred workflow seems interesting. Thanks for sharing that!

06nH

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:04 pm Post

I have just been told that Papers 3 will see an update 'in the next week or so'. Fingers crossed this will sort us out.

ma
marcoiac

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:38 am Post

06nH wrote:I have just been told that Papers 3 will see an update 'in the next week or so'. Fingers crossed this will sort us out.

I heard that before! There are a few bugs in annotating and highlighting in Papers that should also be fixed by the long awaited update.

ba
barbudo

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:11 pm Post

A new version has been released (3.4.12) but the problem persist.

06nH

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:16 am Post

barbudo wrote:A new version has been released (3.4.12) but the problem persist.

I was so happy to see the update, anticipating it would resolve the issue. But alas. I also noticed it was built on 22 November, so not much could have been done I suppose. It would help if everyone that would like this resolved posts at their forum: http://support.readcube.com/support/discussions/topics/30000000605 and email their helpdesk. It is being read, although you may not get a response.

pa
pachydermfortress
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:56 pm Post

After the recent Papers update to 3.4.12 (550) which didn't fix Scrivener 3, I emailed Papers support on the issue I had open with them, detailing the simple .plist fix as well. In reply they tried to sell me their paid Readcube app instead. :x

I'm not sure they're actually going to add support for Scrivener 3, or indeed any upcoming Microsoft Word 365 updates (I'm on the Insider Slow ring, the build of which Papers no longer recognises, at least for me...)

jo
jonfish

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 pm Post

I’m a little puzzled they tried to sell you ReadCube as this doesn’t even support Papers - it’s Word only as far as I can tell. Was it the upcoming merged Papers/ReadCube that they were suggesting?

pa
pachydermfortress

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:15 pm Post

Nope, the links they provided were to their current Readcube Desktop offering, and in the email they said:

ReadCube, like Papers, is a reference manager but has been written using entirely different code and may be more successful for you

Frankly I was shocked and dismayed they suggested it and replied as such. I have hundreds of thousands of words written in Scrivener that I was hoping to export to Word and then generate, but now Papers doesn't work in either program... (though I guess this is my fault for being on the bleeding edge :cry: )

mg
mgmcalister

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:30 pm Post

This is so frustrating. I've built an entire dissertation using Scrivener with Papers 3 and now Papers 3 is worthless. Is there a work around that gets the citekey function of Papers 3 back in play? I've never messed with the code of a software package so go easy on me.

lunk

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:49 pm Post

Shouldn’t the easiest way be to go back to Scrivener 2 until the thesis is done?

06nH

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:19 pm Post

pachydermfortress wrote:I have hundreds of thousands of words written in Scrivener that I was hoping to export to Word and then generate, but now Papers doesn't work in either program...

I know it does not help you, but at least you have saved me by mentioning your process. I am planning to do the same, but should absolutely not update Word anymore, I'll make sure to turn off automatic updates. I am running version 15.40 and it works there, it that is of any help. And indeed, roll back to Scrivener 2 until you have finished the thesis.

ma
marcoiac

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:13 am Post

There is a fix. But it does have a side effect. You won't be able to restart Papers. If you do need to restart Papers, for whatever reason, you first have to delete the line I'll tell you to add here. Mind you, I haven't tried it myself, but since it comes from Papers support, I doubt it won't work

You have to edit the AppSupportInformation.plist file that you find in
/Applications/Papers.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Citations.app/Contents/Resources

Add this line

com.literatureandlatte.scrivener3

It should work after that

06nH

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:15 am Post

marcoiac wrote: but since it comes from Papers support, I doubt it won't work

That solution was proposed on this forum, so it is interesting that Papers support now provide that as an option. It is basically a hack of their own software. I thought it used to freeze Papers after you did it, but on trying it now it is still working. Could be done in a little script I suppose that copies the original plist back, starts Papers and then modifies it.

ba
barbudo

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:35 am Post

You can build a script for launch Papers 3, wait few seconds and then copy your modified version of AppSupportInformation.plist

Also, I’ve created an automator service that restore the original version of AppSupportInformation.plist before quit. To prevent an improper exit of Papers 3 I’ve overwritten the Command+Q shortcut to invoke this service. It’s mandatory to assign a new shortcut to regular exit (the standard Command+Q), in my case I’ve chosen Alt+Command+Q.

I hope this workaround can help you.

cwerner wrote:This is an issue with Papers3. You can actually make it work (temporarily) with simply adding one line that includes the new app-ID of Scrivener3 into:
/Applications/Papers.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Citations.app/Contents/Resources/AppSupportInformation.plist

There, you have:

Code: Select all

<key>SupportsInsertionOfCitations</key>
      <array>
         <string>com.literatureandlatte.scrivener</string>
         <string>com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2</string>

Simply adding:
<string>com.literatureandlatte.scrivener3</string>

will enable it again, but Papers3 will not restart due to this modification being detected...

Sucks really.

Is there any way to make Scrivener report a fake app-ID?

il
ilottg

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am Post

AFAIK it is only Magic Citations that is broken. You can still go into the open Papers app, copy the citation in Papers format and paste it into Scrivener. Once you export into Word, you can still format your citations using Papers. I suspect that this is as good as you are going to get out of Papers now. Its why I jumped to Bookends.

Best of luck.