Exporting styles to MS Word?

il
ilottg
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:46 pm Post

I was hoping that Scrivener 3, with its nice new style system, would finally be able to send style names to MS Word. This does not seem to be the case. Am I right, or have I missed something in the compile settings?

kewms

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:58 pm Post

Scrivener styles *should* carry through to your output document. What format are you outputting to?

Do note that the default for Scrivener body text is "No Style," not "Normal" or "Body Text" as it is in Word.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:00 am Post

Style names should indeed export to Word. I just double-checked and it worked for me...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

il
ilottg

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:12 am Post

I am starting to find all the nooks and crannies with formatting and style definitions, and I can output my newly designed paragraph style to Word, but it doesn't display in Word as "Paragraph" style. It has the style characteristics, but has no style name assigned. Same with headings. This suggests to me that once I export to Word I have to go and assign styles again to my manuscript (if I want to work with styles in Word, which I do).

il
ilottg

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:32 am Post

Thanks KB, obviously I have missed something then. As long as the feature is there, I will ferret it out. Cheers and well done.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:16 am Post

If you create your own styles, then you'll have to create a custom compile preset, import your styles to the compile settings, and set it up so that all the styles are exported during compile. I don't think there's a way to automatically export new custom styles without customizing compile as well.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

ju
julesmim

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 pm Post

If you create your own styles, then you'll have to create a custom compile preset, import your styles to the compile settings, and set it up so that all the styles are exported during compile. I don't think there's a way to automatically export new custom styles without customizing compile as well.

That’s exactly what I want to do. Could you explain in more details how to do it.
Thanks

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 pm Post

julesmim wrote:

That’s exactly what I want to do. Could you explain in more details how to do it.
Thanks

It's kind of in-depth, but take a look at section 24.5 of the manual. You may need to read up on how to copy an existing compile preset, and then create a copy of the compile preset you've been using to start. See 23.2.3 "Creating a New Format" to get you started with that.

I know it may seem intimidating, but I managed to stumble through it without a manual during the Beta. There are also videos that might give you just enough to go on at the "learn & support" link in the upper right corner of this forum page. I find it easier to search for Literature & Latte on Youtube to find specific videos, but watching them in sequence from Learn & Support can't hurt... you'll definitely learn a thing or two in the process!
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".