Footnotes in between stories

om
omananda
Platform: Mac

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:44 am Post

I read through the manual and I am not sure if this is possible to do? i Have stories within chapters and want footnotes to appear after each story and not in the end of the entire document. Can this be done? If so, how?

Sc
ScriverTid

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:37 pm Post

Have you thought about splitting your chapters so that a chapter has its own folder, but within it there are a number of documents, each of which can have its own footnotes?

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 pm Post

ScriverTid wrote:Have you thought about splitting your chapters so that a chapter has its own folder, but within it there are a number of documents, each of which can have its own footnotes?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that would help in setting where footnotes appear in compiled output.

I don't know of a way to do what omananda is wanting to do, but I have learned never to underestimate Scrivener, and am hoping to hear that there is a way to do this!

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

lunk

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:36 pm Post

I assume that the output is meant to be in pdf format? One compilation/output file per chapter and using endnotes, followed by putting it all together as one file afterwards, is one way to do this.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

xiamenese

Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:10 pm Post

Otherwise, export as RTF with endnotes and open that in Word or Nisus Writer Pro, set a section break for each story and set endnotes to be organised by section. I can do it in NWP; it must be possible in Word, but I don't know how as I don't use Word.

From your word-processor, print/export as PDF, or whatever format you want.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

gr

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:13 pm Post

I just tested the Endnote Marker placeholder in Scrivener 3.0. My hope was that this might work serially -- so that placing multiple endnote marker placeholders could be pressed into service for the purpose. But it doesn't work like that. If you place multiple endnote markers, only the last on is recognized. Just FYI.

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin