Images on corkboard

po
pooks

Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:28 pm Post

I've imported several images (.jpg) to my corkboard to have as reference and/or inspiration. The original images are much larger than the image that shows up on the corkboard but that's not a prob. I like that the corkboard presents them all the same size and so that I can see a number of them at once.

However, I clicked on them thinking the image would enlarge so I could see more detail and it didn't. Is there a way to get them to do that, or with this program do they stay the size they are?

Thanks!

me
melmoth2

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:15 am Post

How did you get them onto the corkboard? That sounds really cool. I have images inside notes in my research folder, when I click on the relevant cards I see the images as content, but not actually pinned onto the board (I assume that's what you mean).

po
pooks

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:57 am Post

Import>file>jpg from my computer

It's very cool!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:37 am Post

Yes, the media has to be imported directly into the Binder to show up on the Corkboard as a "Polaroid," not embedded in a document. To adjust the size (and rotation) of an image that has been loaded into the editor, double-click the image. Same goes for embedded images, by the way. You'll get a different looking tool, but you can manipulate how big an image is in a text document this way.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

po
pooks

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:41 am Post

I'm brand new to this--loading these images is the very first thing I've done. (Images of my characters.)

So excuse me if my questions seem dumb but--

When you say double-click, I did that, and nothing happened.

When you mention the editor, is that something different from just clicking the photo on the corkboard?

Thanks!

Ma
Maelduin

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:29 am Post

Double-click on an image's name in the section over on the left, where your files are shown.

That will open it as a single item - not on the corkboard, but taking up the whole pane (or the bottom or top half of a split pane, if you're using a divided view).

Now double-click on this large image in the central pane, and a black gadget will appear with a slider that allows you to increase or decrease the scaling. If you dismiss that and just click within the image, it allows you to drag it here and there.

(Open to correction here - I'm new to the app.)

antony

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:11 am Post

Maelduin wrote:(Open to correction here - I'm new to the app.)

No, you've got it right, except that you should only need to click once on the file name in the Binder (that's what "the section over on the left, where your files are shown" is called).
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

po
pooks

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:12 pm Post

Oh, thank you! That worked. And thanks for the explanation of "binder." I'm one of those Mac people who never reads anything and just dives in and starts using!

ka
karen

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:20 pm Post

Keith's tutorial is great. It may go against the grain for you -- but I strongly suggest the tutorial, because it does get you immediately involved in the program (ie. it isn't just something to read).
- karen

Ma
Maelduin

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:35 pm Post

The video on the front page is very handy for getting used to terminology and so on within the app:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html

By the way, I find that the use of 'split' *both* to talk about splitting off a document and to talk about dividing the viewing pane is kind of confusing. Maybe a rephrase might be good?

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:33 pm Post

By the way, I find that the use of 'split' *both* to talk about splitting off a document and to talk about dividing the viewing pane is kind of confusing. Maybe a rephrase might be good?

Well, in the year that Scrivener has been on sale and the three years that Scrivener has been in development, I am pleased to say that you are the first user to report any such confusion. :) I really don't think a rephrase would do anything but add to the confusion, as I don't think there is anything confusing about the difference between splitting the editor and splitting the document. "Split" is the correct word in both cases, it is just that something different is being split. Unless you sometimes get confused about a split in your trousers and a banana split, of course. :D

Best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:35 pm Post

KB wrote:Unless you sometimes get confused about a split in your trousers and a banana split, of course.

In certain crowds, I have noticed that this indeed a point of confusion.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

MarcustheBlacksmith

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:13 am Post

Actually the two are closely related. Eating too many banana splits leads to splits in the pants. Especially in Portland, I hear :twisted:
sincères amitiés,
Monsieur Clangy Bangy

But t'weren't the Almighty that lifted her nighty...'twas Roger the lodger, the dodger!

Ma
Maelduin

Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:31 am Post

Of course it's normal usage; may I suggest that we start the Movement for the Eradication of Synonyms immediately?

Ma
Maelduin

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:09 pm Post

I've got a bit of an image problem here: I have an image as one of the files in a Research folder in one project, and on the corkboard, only the middle part of the image shows.

I know it should be possible to drag the image within that square so that the person's face shows, but can;t find how to do it.