Use index cards as a binder

Vi
Vinyassa
Platform: Mac

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:12 am Post

Hi folks,

Is it possible in split screen to have the index cards at the left side of the screen, and when I click on an index card, the complete text of the document is shown on the right side? Or let me ask it in another way: is it possible to use the index cards on the left side of the screen as a kind of 'binder', so when I click on an index card, I go to the document on the right side of the screen?

I 've been looking in the manual and on the forum for an answer, but couldn't find it. Maybe I didn't look well? 8)

Thanks and have a nice day!

br
brookter

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:01 am Post

Once you've set the split screen up (i.e. the correct cork board is in the left hand view), then have a look at the status bar at the bottom of the screen. There's an icon like a box with an arrow pointing right (it's just before the 'No of items' label). Hover on it and it says something like 'Automatically open selection in other editor' -- click this and the cork board will act as the index in the way you want.

BTW, you can use Outline in the same way, which can also be useful, if you turn on 'with synopsis' and manage the outliner columns properly.

When you've got it set up the way you want it, then save it as a named Layout (Window > Manage Layouts) -- it will retain the 'automatically open selection' status.

HTH.

Vi
Vinyassa

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:43 am Post

Wow, what a quick and clear response! Thanks a lot.