Sierra

ma
matsgz
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:34 am Post

Just got this in my mail from Apple:

We are pleased to give you access to the iOS 10 and macOS Sierra final release candidates. We will be shipping the final versions to customers worldwide in the coming weeks and appreciate you trying out the releases and providing feedback.

Is Sierra ready for Scrivener? Is Scrivener ready for Sierra?
Scribo ergo sum

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:51 am Post

Specific Sierra version coming, according to KB…

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34721&p=216296&hilit=Sierra#p215069

Account closed January 2017

ma
matsgz

Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:58 am Post

Thanks Briar Kit! Missed that thread. :?
Scribo ergo sum

Br
Briar Kit

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:04 am Post

matsgz wrote:Thanks Briar Kit! Missed that thread. :?

Pleasure. I have seen Scrivener 2.8 working on Sierra and it seemed fine. Assume an updated release will be more refined.

Have you used Sierra yet? Like it? My owns Macs are too old to run Sierra. Am waiting for the MBP line to be updated before investing in a new Mac.

Account closed January 2017

ma
matsgz

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:20 am Post

Briar,

didn't want to try it before I knew if Scrivener would run smoothly on it. Suddenly it became a moot point, though, as I found that my "late 2009" MacBook is not compatible with Sierra. Apparently they draw the line at 2010.

Mats
Scribo ergo sum

xiamenese

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:40 pm Post

Hmm ... my MBA is late 2010, so here's hoping! Mind you, another indicator that age is creeping up on it as well as me! :D

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:11 pm Post

I still have my late 2010 MBA, but it's never touching another OS X update! That's the last computer I have that can run the last operating system upgrade Apple published, 10.6. :mrgreen:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

nontroppo

Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:40 pm Post

Briar Kit wrote:Have you used Sierra yet? Like it? My owns Macs are too old to run Sierra. Am waiting for the MBP line to be updated before investing in a new Mac.…

It is getting harder and harder each year to actually tell a difference. I upgraded all my Macs to Sierra as the GM was announced. They all updated without a hitch and I can't really tell much difference. Siri is the most visible change, but I seldom use her on my phone, and don't have the habit yet to talk to her on my computer. I do think voice is a great interface for work machines though (I'd rather talk to a computer at my desk than mumbling to my phone). In fact I was a very early adopter when my browser of choice (Opera) pioneered voice control for web browsing many many moons ago. If Siri integrated into Automator/Applescript it would be brilliant, but don't think it currently does.

I read somewhere that in 10.12 they fully switched over to Metal for rendering the UI for dual-GPU laptops. But it is really hard to tell any performance increase (I run 1920x1200 HiDPI which is the most GPU intensive mode, thus where I imagined the improvement would be greatest). Optimised storage seems good for non-technical users, but potentially annoying for geeks (I'll stick to Daisydisk thank you!)

Universal tabs is cool in theory, but my file manager (the incomparable forklift), text editor (Textmate), browser, and Adobe Illustrator are already tabbed and other oft-used software I tend to use in a single document style (Bookends, Scrivener, nvAlt, Matlab etc.). Word of course where tabs would be useful for is incompatible (Scrivener also doesn't support tabs yet)...

I am happy the name is just one word now: macOS!

Gr
Graybyrd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:08 am Post

Now that I'm aged, feeble, and half blind, :evil: I'm opting for the macOs for the visually impaired: macaural. I hear it also scales nicely. Comes in a news wrapper. Fairly complete with no chips.
On my honor, I will do my best not to do anything unlawful, infringing, disruptive, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, lewd, profane, obscene, hateful or otherwise objectionable. Pinky Promise. :mrgreen:

ma
matsgz

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:14 am Post

Graybyrd wrote:Now that I'm aged, feeble, and half blind, :evil: I'm opting for the macOs for the visually impaired: macaural. I hear it also scales nicely. Comes in a news wrapper. Fairly complete with no chips.
With a dash of Vinegar.com :D
Scribo ergo sum